Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod sync problems after hard-drive upgrade/change

Hello all,

Can anyone PLEASE help?

I have just had my hard drive upgraded/changed from the original 640GB drive to a new 2TB drive. I've also had an additional 4GB of RAM added to now give me 8GB RAM.

Absolutely everything else seems to be working fine (unusual for me and I'm often at the end of bad luck in such circumstances). The only thing I'm having problems with is syncing my iPod Classic with iTunes. Incidentally, I have the latest version of iTunes and my iPod software was up to date the last time I checked.

Before I go further, my system specs are:

iMac

24-inch, Early 2009

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Software OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (12C60)

When I connect my iPod Classic, the iPod screen initially shows 'Synchronisation in progress' (or whetver similar wording it actually is)... but this is just very briefly. It then indicates "Connected", and that's the way it stays and doesn't change at all.

It takes time to actually show up in iTunes, and when it does, I now have to very quickly click the iPod button (to bring up the iPod screen on iTunes) before the pointer turns into the spinning beach ball.

Now, it hangs... and hangs... and hangs... and hangs.

During this, I notice that "Manually manage music and videos" is ticked (which I didn't have ticked before), and also 'Enable disc use' is also ticked, although greyed out.

User uploaded file

Occasionally, the spinning beach ball will disappear and the pointer will return, but this is very very briefly and I have a split-second to try unticking - first - the "Manually manage music and videos" box and then - later, if I'm lucky - untick the 'Enable disc use' box. However, on the odd occasion I've managed this, I haven't been able to go further except for two occasions when I managed to click "Apply". The iPoid on those to occasions started to update... but went nowhere... it just did nothing.

When the thing finally just hangs and hangs, I eventually have to 'force quit' iTunes and unplug the iPod without first ejecting. There was one other occasion when I managed to - split-second when the spinning beach ball disappeared - to click "eject" and the iPod succesfully did so.

There were a couple of occasions in the past when I had trouble with my iPhone and was told to delete/trash the iPhone photo cache folder. Remembering this, I tried this for the iPod (iPod photo cache) and it made no difference... same situation.

I did notice on one occasion at the beginning of all this that when I managed to unplug my iPod from iTunes, all the album covers were missing from the iPod (although still in iTunes). This was long before I tried deleting the iPod photo cache folder though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

BionicDan

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:22 AM

8 replies

Jan 10, 2013 6:31 AM in response to NottiCaldo

First things first the spinning beach ball is usually an indication that Search is going nuts.

Turn off Search entire Library by clicking on the downward pointing arrow to the right of the Magnisying glass and untick Search entire library.

Is your music still in iTunes on your new hard drive or is it only on your ipod?

If it is in your itunes then you should be able to plug in the iPod and uncheck Manually Manage music and sync

If the music is only on the ipod connect up as above click on the device and Drag all the music from your device to the library. then you can uncheck manually manage music and sync as normal

Jan 10, 2013 6:35 AM in response to Steve Taylor1

Hi there,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I'll try the 'turn off search' advice later as I'm about to pop out.

My music is still in iTunes in its entirety, complete with album covers... thank God!

"If it is in your itunes then you should be able to plug in the iPod and uncheck Manually Manage music and sync"

This is exactly what I've described above as being a virtual impossibility. It keeps hanging and hanging and hanging.

Thanks anyway,

BD

Jan 10, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Steve Taylor1

Hi Steve,

Well, the good news is that I managed to click on restore before the thing froze again and, lo-and-behold, things seems to be working. At this very moment it's reistalling all my music onto my iPod. It's about halfway through right now... another 8000 or so songs to go.

If the problems start again afterwards, I'll post again. If all is ok... thanks - in advance - for your interest and the advice. You've been a great help.

Best regards

BD

iPod sync problems after hard-drive upgrade/change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.