Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disinfecting ipads

How do you disinfect ipads? With the amount of illness that is in our community i.e. flu, how do we disinfect iPads in the school environment. Wiping them with a lint free cloth does not protect other students from germs. Any ideas?

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:08 AM

6 replies

Jan 10, 2013 6:58 AM in response to ensigntc

I'd say you would need to use something like the Zagg line of plastic protection sheets that cover the whole device - screen, sides and back. That way, you would use regular medicinal alcohol wipes to wipe off the whole thing without risk damaging the oleophobic coating on the screen. Or any of the other fully protective cases (e.g. otterbox) would allow the same thing.

The downside is an iPad wrapped in a Zagg suit or encased in an otterbox case is a very unpleasant thing to hold and use, IMO.

May 8, 2013 5:39 AM in response to ensigntc

I have a similar follow-up question: I have been searching for several hours and have seen various cases and protective covers that I might use as I try to translate the iPad into the hospital clinic setting. Between each patient use, we need to have an effective cleaning protocol in place without damaging the iPad itself, so that it remains functional for the long-term.

My question is: if I purchase a plastic, clear screen protector, but leave the aluminum back/sides uncovered, will I be able to use hospital (alcohol-based) sanitizer wipes and the like? The support article cited by Galt (above) does not address the aluminum component of the iPad exterior, only the screen. My guess would be that the aluminum would not be harmed by using the wipes (only the screen would be, but that would be covered by the protective plastic). However, this is not a presumption that I would want to pay for later if I were wrong. Does anyone know about this? Thanks.

May 8, 2013 6:01 AM in response to Fat Moses

I don't know if this would work or if it'd be acceptable in the germ killing area....but doesn't UV light kill bacteria? Or sanitize or something. I see those UV toothbrush germ killers in the stores.

If something like that meets the germ killing level needed, what about zapping the device between each patient? then there's no moisture, no alcohol and no damage?

Maybe it doesn't work fast enough, I honestly don't know.

Other than that, I can't imagine the alcohol hurting the aluminum back. But you can also get snap on cases for the back relatively cheap anymore. Depending on how often that iPad is handed off, could switch the back cover between persons, so they always get a fresh back (and you can clean/sanitize those between patients) then use the alcohol to wipe down the screen protector covered front.

disinfecting ipads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.