Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving a project from one library to another

I created a new library for my 2013 photos and imported some photos from my camera. In my previous library (last year's photos), is a project for January 2013 PhotoStream pictures, and I'd like that in my new 2013 library. How can I do this? I have the most current version of Aperture.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:50 AM

Export the project as a Library (File -> Export, it's an option there)

Then import that to the new Library.

However, as an Aperture Library can manage up to 1,000,000 photos, why would you break up libraries by year? I know folks did this with iPhoto (prior to iPhoto 6) when those libraries could manage only 25k, but it make little sense when you can have all your photos in one Library, and devide them by year too, in that Library.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2013 6:50 AM in response to Laura in CT

Export the project as a Library (File -> Export, it's an option there)

Then import that to the new Library.

However, as an Aperture Library can manage up to 1,000,000 photos, why would you break up libraries by year? I know folks did this with iPhoto (prior to iPhoto 6) when those libraries could manage only 25k, but it make little sense when you can have all your photos in one Library, and devide them by year too, in that Library.

Jan 10, 2013 7:46 AM in response to Laura in CT

The size of the library is not critical for the overall performance. You may notice a little reduce in speed, if the projects are gigantic. I would not put thousands of images into one single project.

But it is more important to keep plenty of free disk space on your system drive, and to have the Aperture library on a fast drive with a fast connection. Also fix your Aperture library by repairing it, if you had a crash or you force quit Aperture.

If Aperture is slow, try to find out, what it is doing by looking at the Activity window (Window > Show Activity). There you can see, if Aperture is processing previews, scanning for faces, etc. Sometimes Aperture is processing the same image over and over again. If you see this happen, remove the the image from the library. Probably it is corrupted.

Regrds

Léonie

Moving a project from one library to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.