Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing keyword button sets does not work?

I created a new library in Aperture and would like the button sets from my previous main Aperture library. I exported the button sets, but when I try to import the button sets in my new library, the file is grayed out and not clickable--I cannot choose Open. What's going on?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:32 AM

10 replies

Jan 10, 2013 7:27 AM in response to Laura in CT

Are you referring to exporting keywords? If so there was (is) a bug in Aperture. The exported keyword file does not have the correct extension. I believe it should have a .txt extension.

I'm not on a machine I can't test this on now but this was asked a while back and I answered it so you should be able to search for that post.

I was right see this post Unable to import Keywords List

Jan 10, 2013 7:35 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I created a new library in Aperture and would like the button sets from my previous main Aperture library.

If you are referring to the button sets in the Keyword Controls - Wedding - Sports - Animals - etc, these button sets are tied to the Aperture Library. To create a new library with exactly the same button sets, I usually simply export a partial library from the library that has the button sets that I want.

For example by selecting a folder in the Library source list and then exporting the folder with "File > Export > Folder as new library". This new library will have exactly the button sets as the parent library.

Then I delete the duplicate images from the new library.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 10, 2013 7:45 AM in response to Laura in CT

I would start over.

In the Finder go to Preferences->Advanced and make sure Show all filename extensions is checked.

Export a new keyword file from your fist library to the Desktop

Open the Desktop in Finder and locate the keyword file it should like like this (of course with thename you gave it)

User uploaded file

Notice the lack of an extension while the other files all show an extension. Now select the keyword file and do an File->Get Info on it. Go to the Filename and extension section, lace the cursor at the end of the name and add .txt.

You will get an alert from finder asking you if you really want to change the extensionUser uploaded file

If you don't get the alert something is not right. Now try the keyword file in Aperture again.

Post back.

Jan 10, 2013 9:03 AM in response to Laura in CT

but what I wanted even more were the buttons.

That is what I meant with my previous post - the button sets are stored in your Aperture library. When you create a new library, you have to do it from a library that has the buttons and "export" a new library, not create it from the file menu:

From my previous post:

To create a new library with exactly the same button sets, I usually simply export a partial library from the library that has the button sets that I want.

For example by selecting a folder in the Library source list and then exporting the folder with "File > Export > Folder as new library". This new library will have exactly the button sets as the parent library.

Then I delete the duplicate images from the new library.

Regards

Léonie

Importing keyword button sets does not work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.