Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data recovery on dead Time Capsule

My Time Capsule died and I have files on it that I don't have else where. The Time Capsule is still under waranty, but if I have someone recover the disk for me the waranty will be broken and then I won't get a new one from Apple. Does anyone know if Apple can perform data recovery on a dead Time Capsule AND give me a new one or repair the broken one?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 8:02 AM

4 replies

Jan 10, 2013 11:43 AM in response to Henning Lund

How old is the TC?

What model, A1xxx from the bottom if it?

Apple are telling people to store files on the TC so ring them up and say you were using it as you were told and now it is broken, what are they going to do?

They generally refuse to do more than swap to a new one.. the whole point of the TC is backup.. not file store.. so it has no way to backup and is considered a sealed unit.

What is dead btw? On a recent one, a dead hard disk is going to require some work to get files out of, if at all.

My advice would be to very carefully open the TC yourself and see if the TC works without the hard disk in it.. and plug the disk into a computer with usb to sata box.. you can get some recovery software if the disk does work.. otherwise it needs to go to a data centre. Then put it all back into the TC.. seal it up again.. and present it for replacement.. !!

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

Jan 10, 2013 7:47 PM in response to LaPastenague

The TC is just over 4 years, sounds old, but in Norway we have a 5 year warranty! Unfortunately I don't have access to the model no right now, but why do you ask? Is this model specific? Any models know for dyeing?

Not sure why it's dead, but it just won't start. No green or amber light at all, just dead! But don't think it's the hard disk itself, looks it's failing before that.

Jan 10, 2013 9:37 PM in response to Henning Lund

Yes, Gen1 has a well known fault..

The power supply is dead.. it can be fixed..

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair

But in any other part of the world they are no longer under warranty and people can hack away.

Your trouble is Apple are not required to help recover files.. just replace the hardware.. so you have a choice.. break the warranty and get the hard disk out or fix the TC.. or get a replacement and lose your files..

Or do a bit of tricky stuff.. and then get Apple to replace it..

Data recovery on dead Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.