Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble signing into mac app store for updates

The app store icon in my launchbar indicates that I have 3 updates available, and I would like to update. So I click the "update" button next to each item, and I am asked to sign in with my apple ID. I do, then I receive a message saying more info is needed, and I am redirected to a web site that explains what an Apple ID is and how to create one. I know I am entering my ID and password correctly because when I try doing it another way, I get the "incorrect ID or password" mesage. And of course, I managed to sign in to the Apple Support Community.

So how do I get my updates?

Any help is appreciated!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:56 AM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2013 11:32 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

The three updates are Software Update (Safari, MacBook Air EFI Firmware, and Air and Pro update), iPhoto, and iMovie.

I tried to download a free app from the mac app store today, and encountered a different problem when trying to log in. Again, it did not say my ID or password was incorrect, but instead gave this message: "This Apple ID has not yet been used with the iTunes Store. Please review your account information." So I clicked "review" and was taken to a terms and conditions page, which I accepted, and that took me to another, enormous terms of use page, but no option to accept or do anything, and then somehow I ended up in the Apple store.

What's going on?

Jan 11, 2013 9:40 PM in response to angelaiblackmer

I have some ideas, but we may be a bit limited without certain tools here.

Let's check with iTS... they can verify if you've made extra accounts,or if there are some other issues affecting them. It may take a few emails back and forth though. At least let's start with them.

iTunes Store Support

http://www.apple.com/emea/support/itunes/contact.html

Keep us updated here.

Jan 17, 2013 10:42 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

Thanks for this recommendation. After contacting iTunes support, here's the meat of the response I got:

Angela, I would suggest that you review your account's information using the iTunes application on your computer and then follow the steps below:

1) Open iTunes.

2) From the Store menu, choose Sign In.

3) Enter your Apple ID and its password, and click Sign In.

4) You will see a dialog saying this: "This Apple ID has not yet been used with the iTunes Store. Please review your account information." Click Review and follow the onscreen instructions to sign in with the account.

Followed these steps, then all I had to do was enter my credit card information (I never got to that screen before), and now my Apple ID is fully functional, so I can download apps from the mac app store and install my updates. ...Yet more proof that money truly can buy happiness.

I hope I don't run into similar problems in the future...as a relatively new mac user, I would have expected the process of creating a freakin' ID to be somewhat more streamlined.

Anyway, if anyone else has the same issue, now you know what to do. =)

trouble signing into mac app store for updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.