Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Had to reset User Password, forgot Keychain password. Is there a way to reset the keychain password without deleting all my password data?

Had to reset User Password, forgot Keychain password. Is there a way to reset the keychain password without deleting all my password data?

My understanding is that If I reset my keychain password I will lose all my password data. Does this mean if I am automatically logged into my emails or faceook, once I delete the old keychain I will no longer be logged in automatically and will have to sign in again? Is that correct? If so, is there a way around it so I don't lose my password data?

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:24 AM

5 replies

Jan 10, 2013 11:21 AM in response to ngadri6

Use Spotlight to search for a file called login.keychain. Users/YourUserName/Library(which is a hidden folder and won't show in Finder)/Keychains.

Click Go in the menu bar then Go to Folder and type in /Users/YourUserName/Library and hit the enter key.

Look down the list of folder and find Keychains. The "login.keychain" file should be inside.

Cures for a funky keychain

User uploaded file

Jan 11, 2013 12:32 PM in response to ngadri6

The keychain is an encrypted database. The password is the key to unlocking it. Without the keychain password, you cannot access the encrypted information in the keychain. So the answer to your question is yes, if you do not remember the password, you will lose the contents.

If you think you might remember the password in the future, you can save the old keychain, and start a new one. But you will never be able to unlock the old keychain until you remember its original password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.