Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External HDD doing something odd - Fail or can I recover?

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can answer this, but Google has not been friendly in finding an answer.

I have an external drive (500Mb WD MyBook) that just tipped over - the drive was not running at the time, but I accidentally hit it and it just dropped sideways (not hard nor far)

On plugging the drive in, the Mac recognises the drive as unformatted, and claims it is a 1Gb drive, asking if I want to initialise it.

Using Data Rescue 3, the drive also comes up as a 1Gb drive. I left the software running for about an hour, and it only analysed less than 1% - so trying to retrieve files is a wash.

So my question: Is this is a controller issue? Are the platters/heads the problem? Does anyone have any suggestions I could try.

The drive, although mostly backed up, contained some raw audio files that I really need to recover in some way.

My local repair shop will look at the drive, but has a minimum analysis cost of $250- which is crazy to have them tell me the drive is toast.

TYIA!!

-m-

2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Nehalem, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 12 GB DDR3, 4x500 GB HD, DVD-r

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 11:40 AM

7 replies

Jan 10, 2013 4:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

True, true, Linc.

But by "local" I meant 'down the street' at Tekserve - one of NY's oldest Mac repair shops who've helped us out before. And the $250- is just their analysis cost - realistically any actual recovery will be a whole lot more money!

As an addendum, if this means anything to anyone: I pulled the drive and put it into my BlacX Docking station. The drive comes up as a 226 TB drive (yes, that's right )
- I also tried swapping it into an enlosure for another WD MyBook drive I have - when turned on, the Mac read it as a 2TB drive.

So the fact that depending on which interface I'm using, it gives me different numbers - does that help in the idea department 🙂

Jan 10, 2013 5:26 PM in response to subgrav

So the fact that depending on which interface I'm using, it gives me different numbers - does that help in the idea department

It helps me a lot. Any drive that cannot provide both its Make&Model and an accurate non-zero capacity/size cannot be initilaized or repaired by any software means.

Your drive has serious problems, and the only way to get more than a tiny bit of data off it is the extremely expensive way Linc Davis has described. Tekserve is probably going to run Norton Utilities on it. They will get nowhere.

Seriously consider re-creating that data through other means -- the data may never come back regardless of how much you spend.

Jan 10, 2013 5:34 PM in response to subgrav

Considering that this is an external drive, there's a chance that the enclosure has failed, rather than the drive mechanism inside. In that case, you might be able to rescue the data yourself by removing the mechanism from the enclosure and installing it in another one, or a drive dock. You have nothing to lose by trying. Just make sure you don't write anything to the drive.

Jan 10, 2013 6:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, Linc and Grant, for the insight. Looks like its a wash on this.

The last thing I will probably try is swapping out the PCB from another drive that is identical to this one - providing the codes match up (which they should since I bought both drives at the same time).

If that doesn't do it, then I'll just write it off, I guess - a real bummer since some of the stuff had important artistic value to me.

Thanks for the op on Tekserve - saves me the money to probably have them do what I've already done.

External HDD doing something odd - Fail or can I recover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.