1. Two iPads (latest generation, all software updated, configured similarly - close enough that there shouldn't be a difference in features displayed)
2. Airport Express (bonjour enabled, etc etc, stereo cable plugged into stereo)
3. Apple TV (home sharing and Airplay enabled, etc etc)
4. Mac Mini (main iTunes library, where everything gets sync'd and backed up)
5. MacBook Pro
6. iPod Touch
7. NAS (non-Apple based networked storage, where all the music files are stored, etc etc)
One of the iPads has the Airplay control button on the music control bar (Double click Home, slide app bar right).
The other iPad DOES NOT have the Airplay control button!
I have gone through every setting on both iPads and there is nothing to indicate why 1 has it and the other does not.
The iPad with the missing main Airplay control button does have Airplay control buttons IN the Apple apps that have audio capabilities (iTunes, Video) but if I play music via Pandora I cannot use Airplay to stream to my stereo through Airport Express or Apple TV.
My question to Apple Support is WHY does the main Airplay control button disappear to begin with? WHY WHY WHY?!?!
To all the people that say, "You have to reboot your network.... your Apple TV.... your blah blah blah", you DO NOT know what you are talking about. If you don't get the description of the root problem do not suggest "the obvious".
The only possible solution to restore the Airplay control button appears to be the iPad reset (hold down the Home button and Power button simultaneously). Which is what I'll try next, but I still want to know why it disappears to begin with, I should not have to jump the support hoops to 'fix' something that should just 'work'.
Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.
Thanks for listening.
I have just had this problem.
I rebooted everything then found from another thread that if you change your language in the settings (to something you can hopefully comprehend) then back to english the icon came back on the double tap swipe left and airplay was enabled.
I mean I rebooted and resetted evreything, bloody passwords and all.