Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM Update to 8 or even 16GB on MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 mid 2012?

Hey folks,

i heard and read rumours, that it is possible to update the ram of the MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2012/no retina) to a double 8GB RAM, making it 16GB.

Which would be great, right?

Apple says on the support website that all the MacBooks 13" are only able to hold two 4GB making it 8.

Currently I only have the standard two times two 4GB.

So i was wondering, since I found this Crucial PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz 8GB SODIMM on the Internet if that's a fit for the rumours.

It says on the site:

"Guaranteed compatible with:

• MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 mid 2012
  • ..."

Now, has any one experience with this one?

Maybe this memory will plug both slots and that's why it says compatible?

you find the website here: http://www.macdimms.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-DDR3-1600MHz-8GB-SODIMM_p_123.html

appreciate the help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 9:06 PM

It won't plug both spots. To get 16 GB you will have to buy 2 sticks, one for each slot.

Apple only recommends and will suport 8 and recommends installing in pairs - so 2 slots of 4 GB each. You can always try the 2 slots of 8 and see if they will work. I would recommend ordering from crucial direct. They are one of the better memory companies around and have a website at crucial.com.

You shouldn't have any issues as the maximum non-Apple supported config is 16 GB.

Good luck.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2013 9:06 PM in response to francfarmer

It won't plug both spots. To get 16 GB you will have to buy 2 sticks, one for each slot.

Apple only recommends and will suport 8 and recommends installing in pairs - so 2 slots of 4 GB each. You can always try the 2 slots of 8 and see if they will work. I would recommend ordering from crucial direct. They are one of the better memory companies around and have a website at crucial.com.

You shouldn't have any issues as the maximum non-Apple supported config is 16 GB.

Good luck.

Jan 14, 2013 12:14 AM in response to francfarmer

That's the right RAM - you'll just need two sticks of it to get 16GB of RAM (which I've been using in my machine since April of 2012). You'll get a better price by going to the Crucial website, using the System Scanner to determine the right upgrade path for your machine, and purchasing the 2 x 8GB kit from Crucial.

It'll work like a charm.

Good luck,

Clinton

RAM Update to 8 or even 16GB on MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 mid 2012?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.