Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When charging ipad is it normal that ipad sort of vibrates slightly?

When I charge ipad it vibrates ever so slightly and when I touch its surface below it feels a bit like when you get an electric shock, a very mild elctric shock. I'm worried if this is normal or maybe ipad has a fault. Please help.

iPad

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 1:47 PM

This is normal, and harmless. Many types of AC/DC converters allow AC onto the frame of the device. Although it feels odd, it is quite harmless because it cannot source enough current to harm you.

7 replies

Feb 25, 2013 10:42 AM in response to kaloti.hk98

None of my iPhone chargers behave like my iPad charger, likely because the iPhone charger is a switch-mode design that completely isolates AC input from DC output. So if you're feeling a tingle on your iPhone when using a standard-issue iPhone charger, then it could be defective. Do you have friends with iPhones such that you could borrow their charger to see if it behaves the same? If another's charger doesn't cause this, then replace yours just to make sure its not a safety issue.

Note that the USB port on your computer and PS3 are completely isolated from their AC input, so that's why you won't feel this when charging with those devices.

When charging ipad is it normal that ipad sort of vibrates slightly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.