Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't adjust thunderbolt display on Retina MBP

Hi,

I have a Retina MBP with two thunderbolt displays, the second daisy-chained to the first. My problem is that I cannot adjust the brightness on one of the displays (the first in the chain). I've tried using the keyboard's f1/f2 keys, I've tried fn-ctrl-f1/f2, etc. I've also tried going through the display preferences, where if I adjust the brightness slider bar, it adjusts only the second display.

I've rearranged the two displays so that the display with the adjustable brightness is first in the chain, and the problem migrates with the problematic display. I've also tried isolating the problematic display by removing the second monitor. In that case, none of the keys (f1/f2, fn-ctrl-f1/f2) have any effect. Even the display preferences is missing the brightness slider bar. I've tried powering everything off (unplugging), removing all of the USB devices attached to either display, but nothing seems to change this behavior.

Both displays have firmware version 22.2. Does anyone have any suggestions for debugging this further?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:42 PM

15 replies

Jan 17, 2013 11:41 AM in response to JohnArlington

If I'm understanding correctly, one of the displays does not allow brightness to be adjusted, regardless of its sequence in daisy-chaining or it being the only displaly.

If that is the case, you should seek to have the display repaired or replaced (you can stop by the local Apple Store with an appointment at the Genius Bar). Your display comes with a 1 year hardware warranty, and is also covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan for any Mac you purchased at the same time as the display.

May 7, 2013 3:31 PM in response to JohnArlington

I sorted out how to adjust brightness from your MBP Retina to your TB display. Hold the keys Shift+ALT+ F2 or F1 depending on whether you want the display brighter/darker. This will ONLY adjust your laptop monitor which was frustrating so I figured out the following.

In order for the above key command to work ( Shift+ALT+ F2) on the external monitors, you need to plug in the USB chord hardwired to the TB display into the USB hub of your keyboard or USB hub of your laptop. This allows you to control the brightness through the USB. In addition you need to plug in the keyboard's USB to the laptop. So one USB into laptop from the TB display and one USB from keyboard into computer. Please let me know if this worked for you if you haven't already sorted the problem. Worked for me!

Thanks!

Daniel.

Jan 3, 2014 12:46 PM in response to JohnArlington

John, does your MBP have 2 thunderbolt ports?

If it does, then plug both monitors' thunderbolt cables directly into the MBP. Then in system preferences >> display you'll find a "brightness" slider available for each display that wasn't there before.

I couldn't get it to work with the monitors chained, they had to both plug their thunderbolt connectors into the machine. It's an unfortunate constraint, since chaining allows more flexibility of location, but as far as I can tell it's the reality of the hardware today.

Apr 29, 2014 1:46 PM in response to barnettech

This does NOT work for me. I have a retina 15" MBP connected to a Thunderbolt display and a second Thunderbolt display is connected to that. I have a wired Apple USB keyboard plugged into the first display.

Using the keyboard, only the SECOND display (at the end of the chain) responds with a brightness icon. And opening the "displays" panel there is only a Brightness slide on the second display. The first display is set to be the main display (with the menu bar) in the Displays control panel.

Apr 29, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Maxwell Edison

FWIW, I switched the positions of the displays. I have connected the MBP to what use to be the secondary one and the one that i used to connect to is now the end of the chain.

Keyboard, MS wireless mouse, and Ethernet connected to the display that the MBP is.

Everything now works as advertised. Display control panel shows brightness sliders on both. Ctrl-F1/F2 sets brightness on secondary monitor.

I have no idea why.

Dec 2, 2014 10:22 PM in response to JohnArlington

Hi All,

I had trouble with this, too. I have a Retina MacBook Pro and my Cinema Display doesn't have a USB -- only thunderbolt. Clicking preferences and then Displays brought up a window that had a Brightness slider but it only worked for the laptop display. Trying out a bunch of stuff I just clicked the 'option' button and F2 and it gave me the slider option for the cinema display as well.

Hope this helps!

Jason

http://www.jasonbedunah.com

Can't adjust thunderbolt display on Retina MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.