Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari setting on iPad "Open New Tabs in Background" is not working

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to see the tab bar in Safari, on my iPad, just like on my MacBook.

So, I went to...

Settings >> Safari

...and I turned OFF the setting "Open New Tabs in Background".

Then, the tab bar appeared and every new page that I opened displayed across the tab bar in a new tab, just like I wanted.

Today, I devised that I liked the pages in the background a lot better and I changed the setting to ON.

PROBLEM: the Tab Bar remains, no matter how many pages are open.

What's worse is that, in the menu bar, next to the bookmark and box-arrow icon, the numbered icon is missing (the icon that displays the number of the pages that you have open).

How do I get that icon back and the Tab Bar to disappear?

iPad, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:46 PM

2 replies

Mar 22, 2013 7:08 AM in response to TwinKristian

Looks like some confusion here.

Safari on an iPad running iOS 6 as your signature implies does not open separate pages and the box with the number of open pages is not there. This was how Safari on an iPad worked in an earlier version of the iOS but safari presently only supports tabs.

When you select to turn on Open Pages in the Background, select a link and opening it in a new page will create a new tab and the link will load there BUT Safari on your iPad will remain on the original page. You'll need to tap the ba to see the new page. Turning off Open Pages in the Background will let Safari switch to the new tab immediately.

An iPhone, however, retains the old feature of separate windows and there is a box with a number at the bottom of the screen letting your know how many windows you have open.

Safari setting on iPad "Open New Tabs in Background" is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.