Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The email server didn’t recognize your username/password combination". This message pops up when trying to mail photos from iPhoto. How do I fix it?

"The email server didn’t recognize your username/password combination." This message pops up when trying to send photos from iPhoto via Mail. I have tried reseting passowrds in both gmail and me.com

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:25 PM

I understand your OS version is 10.8.2, but what version of iPhoto do you have.

Also, if you have iPhoto 11, click on the word iPhoto beside the apple - select preferences and go to the "general tab". What does it say behind "email photo's using"?

56 replies

Jan 10, 2013 3:42 PM in response to christineu

- launch iPhoto

- click the word iPhoto directly beside the apple, and select "preferences"

- when the preferences window opens, go to the "accounts tab"

- you should see your email address listed in the left column - select it

- delete the password you see, and enter it again fresh

- close the preferences window and tell it to save the changes

- quit iPhoto, and relaunch it fresh

- try send yourself an email back to your email address and see if it sends

Feb 9, 2013 6:02 AM in response to juanvaldez_25

Keep in mind, the error you see, is not coming from Apple, or your computer. It is coming from your "email address server". If it states your "user name or password" is incorrect, then it is.

To verifiy this, go to your email service providers "web mail" page, and try to log on here. If you need to, reset the password.

iPhoto simply sends the "user name and password" you have entered into it's preferences, and sends it to your email server. They are they ones that "confirm or decline" if it is correct or not.

Apr 8, 2013 8:43 AM in response to KarenSelena

Thanks for helping Christeneau. You helped me too...eventually. I say eventually because I was puzzled by your 'What does it say behind "email photo's using"'?

I realised the problem was your incorrect use of the apostrophe 's', as in 'photo's using'.

I just could not make any sense of this sentence at all, until I realised that you meant to write, "What does it say behind "email photos using". What you employed was the possesive use of the apostrophe - a mistake that seems to have become endemic in english speaking nations during the last 10 years or so, brought on by the lack of understanding basic english grammar. This has come about because of sloppy teaching methods the world over - it's not really your fault.

It's quite simple: The apostrophe 's' should be used as the following examples show:

James's apple, the car's horn, the world's atmosphere. The one exception is 'its shape,' where there is no apostrophe showing posession because that construction has been used as an abbreviation to 'it is', as in 'it's'.

Plurals (more then one) NEVER have an apostrophe! E.g. CDs, eggs, biscuits, vehicles, UNLESS to show possesion - a CD's label, the biscuit's taste, a vehicle's colour.

Thanks again for you help.

"The email server didn’t recognize your username/password combination". This message pops up when trying to mail photos from iPhoto. How do I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.