Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of Babylon malware

I recently purchased a MacBook Air OSX 10.8.2. I had all my files transferred over from my PC to my new MAC. To my dismay, I realized that I had a malware virus transfer in the process. It only pops up when I open Safari. I typically use my Google Chrome, but would like to get rid of it. Anyone have suggestions?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:51 PM

8 replies

Jan 11, 2013 6:55 AM in response to dfrenchfromwa

There is no malware known as Babylon for Mac OS X. It sounds like your Windows machine was infected, but a Windows virus cannot affect a Mac in any way. Even if you did transfer the malware to your Mac, all it would do is sit inert on the hard drive, taking up space and doing nothing else.

Now, you say that something "pops up" when you use Safari... What exactly are you seeing in that regard? Can you post a screenshot of the issue?

Jan 11, 2013 2:11 PM in response to dfrenchfromwa

Installed Windows malware would not be transferred by Migration Assistant, if that's what you used. A malware installer attached to an email, or in some other kind of document, probably would be transferred, but it wouldn't affect you directly. If it would make you feel better to know whether that happened, use the free application ClamXav to scan your files. Don't let it move or delete email messages -- do that from within the Mail application.

Jan 13, 2013 12:59 AM in response to dfrenchfromwa

Hey

in order to easily remove Babylon from your Chrome, please follow these features:

Change Homepage

1. Open Google Chrome, click on the " Customize and control Google Chrome User uploaded file " icon by the right side of the address bar; click on Settings:

2. Inside Settings under " On startup", choose the option " Open a specific page or set of pages."

3. Click on " Set pages" and delete Babylon's page from the list by clicking the small "x" icon beside it.

Remove Search Provider

In order to change the Search Engine in Google Chrome, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open Google Chrome, click on the " Customize and control Google Chrome User uploaded file " icon by the right side of the address bar

2. Click on Settings > Under " Search" click on " Manage search engines...":

3. If you see Babylon Search as default, please click on a different option (Google, Bing etc.).
      Make it default, then remove Babylon by clicking the small 'x'.

Remove Search from New Tab

1. Open Google Chrome, click on the " Customize and control Google Chrome User uploaded file " icon on the right side of the address bar:

2. Go to Tools > Extensions.

3. Remove any Babylon extension (Translator, Toolbar Etc...) from the list by clicking on the small trash bin icon that will appear when you point the cursor over it.

If you need more assistance, we have a support center available at :

Support@babylon.com

24/7

How do I get rid of Babylon malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.