What version of iPhoto and system are your running? Since you've tried rebuilding with iPhoto give this a try:
Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library
- Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
- Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
- Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
- In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
- Click on the Create button.
Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.
If you have an external HD you might want to have the rebuilt copy created on it unless you have well more than 100 GB available on your boot drive.
Restore keeps failing. Says "preparing to copy" and then just stops without success or error message. No contents in package. First time it said didn't have room, so I deleted the bad library that I was trying to restore. I go into Time Machine, find the library from Dec. 28, say -- I've tried a couple dates, now -- and click restore.... same thing. I have rebuilt versions on the same external drive as the Time Machine volume, but they seem to be missing all the photos from 2012! That's a lot of photos!