Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Discovered MacBook Air Screen Defect - How to Replace It

In September of 2012, I purchased a MacBook Air. It came with a 1-year AppleCare plan, so I am covered until September of 2013. I recently discovered a scratch on my screen about 1-2 mm wide. It is actually pretty deep because if you look at it closely, you can see that it punctures the first "layer" of the screen, and you can feel it if you brush your finger over it as well. I have not dropped the Mac yet, nor have I dropped anything on the screen, so it makes sense that this was a production defect/flaw. If I explain this situation at an Apple store, what are the chances that I can get it replaced for a new one (either the screen or the whole MBA if they are lazy)? I know it's not a huge scratch, but I am annoyed knowing that it is there all the time. Also, if I can get it replaced, how can I delete all of the data and essentially disconnect my account from this Mac?

If you did not hear about the recently published article about staff stealing and messing with your data and hardware, here it is:

http://gizmodo[dot]com/5936324/exclusive-confessions-from-the-most-corrupt-apple-store-in-amer ica

(replace the [dot])

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 10:00 PM

As I understand it, cosmetic damage is not covered by the standard warranty. Here is an excerpt of the US hardware warranty for an MBA:

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or ℹ if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

You can take it to the store and see if they would make an exception.

If you do take it in for repairs, simply backup your drive completely. Create another user account "test" with no priviledges and login via password only. That way, they'll only have access to the test account and can't get to your regular account.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2013 10:00 PM in response to L0uisT

As I understand it, cosmetic damage is not covered by the standard warranty. Here is an excerpt of the US hardware warranty for an MBA:

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or ℹ if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

You can take it to the store and see if they would make an exception.

If you do take it in for repairs, simply backup your drive completely. Create another user account "test" with no priviledges and login via password only. That way, they'll only have access to the test account and can't get to your regular account.

Discovered MacBook Air Screen Defect - How to Replace It

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.