Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I install windows using boot camp, will I be able to go back to my Mac settings? I

If I install windows using boot camp, will I be able to go back to my Mac settings? My Sims 3 game keeps freezing, lagging and shutting off when I play on my Mac. It's pretty new. I got it in June 2012. I would only want to use windows to play my Sims 3 games. I aslo lost my leopard restore disc and currently don't own a windows disc. Thank you for any help provided. 🙂

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 9:18 PM

Installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp creates a dual-boot system - you can use the option key to either boot into Windows or Mac OS X, but not both at the same time. You could use a virtual machine app such as Parallels Desktop (which I use) to install Windows and it will run concurrently with OS X - you just switch between the two. I much prefer this methos than Boot Camp.

I don't think that the Sims 3 is that intensive a game, so running Windows as a VM would seem like the best choice. Note that you would have to purchase a version of Windows and Parallels to play the game on your Mac.

Good luck,

Clinton

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2013 9:18 PM in response to VGouldbo

Installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp creates a dual-boot system - you can use the option key to either boot into Windows or Mac OS X, but not both at the same time. You could use a virtual machine app such as Parallels Desktop (which I use) to install Windows and it will run concurrently with OS X - you just switch between the two. I much prefer this methos than Boot Camp.

I don't think that the Sims 3 is that intensive a game, so running Windows as a VM would seem like the best choice. Note that you would have to purchase a version of Windows and Parallels to play the game on your Mac.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jan 11, 2013 9:30 PM in response to VGouldbo

Decide on which version of Windows you want to run - I would suggest some flavor of Windows 7 64-bit - and then go shopping at, say, amazon.com.

Parallels Desktop can be purchased directly from Parallels - here -->> http://www.parallels.com/. You might even want to ask some pre-purchase questions in teh forums to find out exactly which version of Windows would best work with The Sims 3.

Clinton

Jan 11, 2013 9:33 PM in response to VGouldbo

As you are going to use Windows for a game, I recommend you to install Windows on Boot Camp, so you will get the maximum performance. Just open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the steps.

If you need help to install Windows, print this file > http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf

After installing Windows, the best way to start into OS X is to press X key while your Mac is starting. If you want to start always into OS X, open System Preferences > Startup Disk, and choose Macintosh HD. Finally, if you do it, press Option key while your Mac is starting and choose Windows to start in Windows

Jan 11, 2013 10:00 PM in response to VGouldbo

You need an ISO image of Windows 7 and a USB drive if you want to create a Windows 7 DVD or USB drive.

I recommend you to buy Windows 7 in Amazon and use the Windows DVD to install Windows on your Mac. It will be much easier than downloading Windows 7 on an ISO and creating a USB drive.

When you have the Windows 7 DVD, to avoid the "There is no USB..." message, just untick the option to create a USB drive with Windows on Boot Camp Assistant, so tick the options to download the Windows support software and install Windows

Apr 8, 2013 5:45 AM in response to mende1

"When you have the Windows 7 DVD, to avoid the "There is no USB..." message, just untick the option to create a USB drive with Windows on Boot Camp Assistant, so tick the options to download the Windows support software and install Windows"

Same issue, but it doesn't give me an option. The Windows disc is in the superdrive but it keeps complaining about no USB drive.

If I install windows using boot camp, will I be able to go back to my Mac settings? I

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.