Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to send html newsletter via Mail app

I want crystal and clear instruction as all the ones I have found either old fashioned and not relevant or skip that interesting part.

I have already done html page (newsletter). Now I want to transform it somehow and send via Mail app so my contacts could receive it as html newsletter. If I need to attach txt message please add it to the instruction. I need complete how to send html newsletter.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 1:04 AM

25 replies

Jan 12, 2013 1:23 AM in response to alabancox

A ton of Googled hits when searching for "html email" - this one -->> http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/how-to-code-html-emails - was the most informative I found.

I'm just two months into teaching myself HTML, CSS, etc., so I've never attempted HTML email. This site above seems to offer some good 'how-to's'...

Good luck,

Clinton

Jan 12, 2013 2:26 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

That's what I expected to happen. I don't need mailchimp and campaign things and all the other staff. I need to send newsletter from my mail.app application. If I needed mailchimp I wouldn't ask for Mail.app

I also wrote that I had already coded the html page. The tons of information was written about how to make html page but not how to send html newsletter. the step I asked for.

Jan 12, 2013 2:46 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

thanks. Now we've got to the most interesting part and intriguing one. Why should I upload html page to the server. I do understand uploading the images to server which will be used as links in my html mail. But why and how should I store that page in my server if I have CMS post instead from which I used pictures as links. SHould I create yet another type of post in CMS that is my html newsletter? That's not cool. What is the industry standard approach for that?

By the way Mail.app uses that baby design templates for your messages. Why don't we have an option to delete all these creepy childish templates and store solid bold corporate style templates for newsletters and send it somehow? Or will it just attach the images to the message then? If so then it is not what I want and it is really depressing.

Jan 12, 2013 7:22 AM in response to alabancox

alabanco wrote:

thanks. Now we've got to the most interesting part and intriguing one. Why should I upload html page to the server. I do understand uploading the images to server which will be used as links in my html mail. But why and how should I store that page in my server if I have CMS post instead from which I used pictures as links. SHould I create yet another type of post in CMS that is my html newsletter? That's not cool. What is the industry standard approach for that?

By the way Mail.app uses that baby design templates for your messages. Why don't we have an option to delete all these creepy childish templates and store solid bold corporate style templates for newsletters and send it somehow? Or will it just attach the images to the message then? If so then it is not what I want and it is really depressing.

The industry convention/"standard" is not to use html in email. Wheteher or not your html newsletter displays as you intended is at the mercy of the recipient and their email client settings.

If you want to preserve your html layout and styles, save your newsletter as a pdf document and attach the pdf document to your email. Or, as already suggested, use a web server to serve your html newsletter.

Jan 12, 2013 7:48 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

That's not what I want. I want to send newsletter to subscribers via Google Groups. I don't want mailchimp. All I want is to make simple newsletter like smashing magazine and send it via mail app that will send it to google group contacts. that's all

attached pdf - is a pure evil as it will make message bigger. This is exactly what i have right now and what I want to drop.

So the thing is how to make email message from html page that has css style inside or at least the one that smashing magazine has. Should it have the same page on the server?

May 25, 2013 12:59 PM in response to alabancox

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird

Thunderbird mail app handles this natively.

From file menu -> Insert->Html.

Voila. HTML newsletter. No need to post it on a server somewhere. It's all done local.

Disregard the IT guys moaning about the HTML format. That's a crock. All marketing is through HTML newsletters now.

While Apple doesn't allow us to do this via Mail App I don't know. But thunderbird is the FREE solution to the problem.

May 25, 2013 1:09 PM in response to mnorton

mnorton wrote:

While Apple doesn't allow us to do this via Mail App I don't know. But thunderbird is the FREE solution to the problem.

Apple Mail has been able to do this for years.

1. Open the newsletter in Safari

2. Click the Share button

3. Choose "Email this page"

4. In the new message, make sure "Send Web Content As" is set to "Web Page"

Apple Mail is also free and, unlike Thunderbird, still under active development.

How to send html newsletter via Mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.