Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple may deny service for an iphone that has installed any unauthorized software. What do I do?

I unfortunately bought an iphone in good faith from Ebay without realising that it had been jail broken. Since updating software back in Oct 2012 I have had difficulty getting a signal on my phone and sometimes no signal at all. I have restored it to factory settings but this has not worked. Now I cannot even activate my phone and it is no longer registered on itunes as my phone. When I try to activate my phone, I get a message that says unable to activate. I have contacted apple support who sent me some articles one of which says "Apple may deny service for an iphone that has installed any unauthorized software. Is this possible? That apple simply deny access? When I spoke to customer services, I explained I had bought the phone in good faith. It was not me that installed the jail break software. Surely apple will not deny me access? Any ideas of what I can do now?

iPhone 3G

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 3:59 AM

11 replies

Jan 12, 2013 4:06 AM in response to annkathleen1935

That's always been the case with a jailbroken iPhone, & Apple has always warned that doing so voids all warranty/support & may make the phone unable to have a stock iOS reinstalled.

Doesn't matter where/how you got the phone, fact is it's jailbroken & thus Apple won't help you, and since Apple owns this forum, we can't help you here.

You can fix things, you'll just have to use Google & find another site.

Good luck.

Feb 7, 2013 6:55 AM in response to computerdude16

Yeah as the above person said.

It would seem you bought an hacktivated phone, but I'm not going into specifics, a jailbreak wont damage hardware, as its a software hack, but if the wrong software is installed it can create conflicts & crashing & in the worst case a reboot loop, but all can be fixed restoring.

To me it looks like you bought a blocked iphone, ie stollen or the person sold it & reported it lost to apple, so they blocked it.

Feb 9, 2013 5:59 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

It's always possible to restore to an none JB'n state using DFU mode, if your phone is damaged & cannot be restored its not the jailbreaks fault, as all the jailbreak is is a few bytes changed here & there, in fact less code is executed ;-), you could how ever damage the speakers if you installed a tweak to make the volume louder, but never heard of that happening.

There is a lot of bad mouthing the jailbreak going about, mainly from *****, but in all the time I have done it never once have I had phone damage due to a jailbreak & I know Apple don't like the jailbreak, due to piracy & locked down features that are possible on older devices ;-) I for one do not like the scum that pirate apps, they ruin it for the rest of us.

Feb 9, 2013 7:56 AM in response to JCRocky5

JCRocky5 wrote:

but in all the time I have done it never once have I had phone damage due to a jailbreak

Bully for you. That doesn't make it universally true. Sometimes DFU mode doesn't work and the phone can't be restored. I, personally don't care whether or not people chose to jailbreak their phones. However, I do care that people are not properly warned of the consequences.

apple may deny service for an iphone that has installed any unauthorized software. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.