Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After migration from MBP cannot access OSX

OK, so I am trading computers with a friend, and used Migration Assistant to move her files from a Time Machine backup of her MBP to my recently fresh installed iMac. Both systems are running OSX 10.6.8. She had already set up an admin account on the iMac with the same name as her old one on the MBP, and as a result, I selected 'replace account on target machine' or whatever similar option to replace her account with the one from the MBP. After the migration, I was presented with an OSX login screen with blank username and login fields, a blue login button, and a back button. If I click the back button I am taken to another menu with some power down options, and what appears to be an account selection screen with a picture that is named Other. Clicking this takes me to the previously described login page. I have tried all permutations of her previous short and long names, as well as passwords that she had on the MBP to no avail. I also have an OSX install disk on USB, but when I try to use any of the boot key combinations, they do not register and the computer boots normally. For instance, if I hold down Option, no boot selector comes up, if I hold down Command + S, it does not boot into single user mode.

Would tracking down an actual DVD copy of the install disk make any difference?

Is there anything at all that I can do to fix this issue? I really don't want to lose my computer over this.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 7:24 AM

10 replies

Jan 12, 2013 7:50 AM in response to ProbablyScrewed

You would be better off starting over and when you first start the install of Snow Leopard select Restore from TM backup. That way nothing of the slightly older version of Snow Leopard will be installed and her TM backup will be loaded on the drive with her username and password as the only user. Along with her Programs, Settings and Files.

Jan 12, 2013 11:54 AM in response to ProbablyScrewed

Try this.

Turn the system off, Unplug it from the AC, Hold down the power button for 20+ seconds, then connect to AC and power on with the Snow Leopard DVD in the DVD drive and hold down the Option key. That should bring up the Boot Menu screen where you should be able to select the DVD drive and Snow Leopard to boot from. If that fails to boot from the DVD drive you may have a faulty DVD drive. If that is the case you kcan connect any make external DVD drive to a USB port and boot from that.

If you khave a USB thumb drive of Snow Leopard myou could also try that after the steps above.

Jan 12, 2013 12:37 PM in response to ProbablyScrewed

FIXED

The issue was with the aluminum USB keyboard that I had. Apparently there is an issue with the early iMacs not powering the keyboard in time to allow boot keys to register. I tried a couple different keyboards until one worked...an old dell one. I then booted from my USB copy of the install disk and reloaded it using setup assistant to transfer from the TM backup.

After migration from MBP cannot access OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.