Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New wifi card for PowerBook G4 (2002, OS 10.4.11)

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a wifi card for a PowerBook G4?

I've just bought a secondhand model, and I'd like to broaden its wifi capability. Being able to use WPA security would be a good start.

- Richard

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 15in G4, circa 2002

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply
4 replies

Jan 24, 2013 3:49 PM in response to edex67

Thanks for the tip-off about that device. However, the PowerBook is from 2002, so only has USB 1.1 sockets, so it'd have very limited datarate.

I have found an Airport-clone PMCIA network card on ebay for about the same cost though. It took some fiddling with the network settings, but I got it working. It's doing the trick nicely.

- Richard

Mar 19, 2013 5:02 AM in response to Kurt Liebezeit

I bought the WiFi card from eBay. It's a Chinese clone of a Motorola WN825Gv3 (part number: 518565-001-00). Here's the old eBay link: http://bit.ly/XmW0Gb

I can't remember exactly what settings I used on my Powerbook – mainly because I clicked things at random until it worked – but I did have to click "renew lease" in WiFI settings to get the card to work.

I didn't have to change any settings on my router, but the card isn't compatible with 5Hz WiFi frequencies, or the "n" speed WiFi.

Other than having to renew the lease occasionally, the card works smoothly.

- Richard

New wifi card for PowerBook G4 (2002, OS 10.4.11)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.