Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 7 Viewer is Darker than what it should be

In my current FCP7, while project and sequence is under Pro Res 422, the viewer displays darker images, i tried to change the System Setting>Playback Control>Gamma Correction to Approximate instead of Accurate, this increased the gamma(brightness) of the clip a fair bit, but even when comparing to a normal footage played in QT7 (with FCP Compatability disabled or not) in FCP, it's still a littlebit more washed, grey-ish, not as vivid as playing in QT7

I know this is a known bug, and i remember solving this problem last time by changing some codec somewhere in FCP project to another coded instead of 422, then back to 422 and that solved the problem, i'm not sure

any help?

Thanks

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:36 AM

8 replies

Jan 3, 2014 7:42 AM in response to Heyyoumen

HELP! I just upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.9 and now I'm having the same problem with fcp7 playing clips too dark. Clips appear to be coming in fine with "Log and Capture" but they play back dark. Older clips in older projects with Apple Pro Res 422 clips are doing the same thing. (They play OK in Quicktime on my desktop but are too dark in fcp.) How do I fix this?

Jan 3, 2014 9:18 AM in response to videogal3

Hey videogal3

After a bit of research back then, I found a temporary solution, I've now switched to FCPX so I didn't bother anymore, but here it is

in System Settings under FCP7
under Tab Playback Control
Under Gamma Correction: Change from Accurate to Approximate

Mind you, In my own experience, I dont think that's close to what u see in quick time either, but it certainly is better than before, at least not dark where u can't see. And after exporting, the movie is fine too

So Yeah, hope this helps

Cheers

Jan 5, 2014 4:25 PM in response to videogal3

The only person you need to please is yourself. That's the beauty of "grossly inaccurate" monitors.

When you are working with a production or grading monitor the "correct" settings are those that are derived by the calibration process and they vary from set to set. In my case, I used a Matrox MXO2 Mini and a 37" Visio HDTV for my grading/playback monitor. Others use Capture cards from AJA Video Systems or Black Magic Design to connect to calibrated monitors to achieve the same thing.

Jan 5, 2014 4:57 PM in response to RatVega™

I understand different monitors will appear different, but I don't like fcp7 clips looking different in Quicktime; on the same monitor. They should look the same in fcp7 and in Quicktime application.

IDEA: I'm trying to remember setting on my mac for different "parts per million" & other choices to set the monitor. Perhaps that will help. Do you have any other ideas for consistancy?

(As recommended earlier in this conversation: change the System Setting>Playback Control>Gamma Correction to Approximate instead of Accurate, this increased the gamma(brightness) of the clip a fair bit, but even when comparing to a normal footage played in QT7 (with FCP Compatability disabled or not) in FCP, it's still a littlebit more washed, grey-ish, not as vivid as playing in QT7)

FCP 7 Viewer is Darker than what it should be

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.