Skip navigation

Installed ram, how to check it for faults?

175 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2013 2:01 PM by tal1971 RSS
tal1971 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 12, 2013 1:33 PM

I've ordered my first Mac, (27 inch iMac) and I've ordered some ram to install in the iMac when it arrives.

I was wondering, how do I check the installed ram for faults?

Is there a application etc with Mountain Lion that would allow me to do this?

Thanks

Windows Vista, iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 5 32GB
  • Paul_31 Level 6 Level 6 (12,155 points)
    Jan 12, 2013 1:39 PM (in response to tal1971)

Although I've never used it I think there is an application called Rember that will check RAM.

The best test is if you plug it in and it works and you don't get any kernel panics you're probably good to go.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15837/rember

• shldr2thewheel Level 7 Level 7 (25,335 points)
    Jan 12, 2013 1:49 PM (in response to tal1971)

tal1971 wrote:

I was wondering, how do I check the installed ram for faults?

Is there a application etc with Mountain Lion that would allow me to do this?

the apple hardware test (AHT)

• Paul_31 Level 6 Level 6 (12,155 points)
    Jan 12, 2013 1:51 PM (in response to tal1971)

Kernel Panics are generally not common and seem to be mostly caused by out of date software or suspect RAM. You'll immediately know if one has happened - the screen will go black as if a blind is being drawn down from the top and in the centre there will be multi-language text saying that an error occurred and you should restart your Mac (or words to that effect). A panic log will be produced which you'll be able to find using the pre-installed application called Console. The log can often give clues as to the cause of the KP.

KP's are not something you expect and to put it in context, I can count on one hand how many I've had in 20 years of Mac ownership - across numerous variations of Apple computers.

• shldr2thewheel Level 7 Level 7 (25,335 points)
    Jan 12, 2013 1:57 PM (in response to tal1971)

yes, I have done this myself.  Run the extended test.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.