Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recurrent beachball in all apps in Lion, eventually freezes iMac

Pardon the details: I want to be concise but also show that I have combed through many posts here and tried many of the remedies suggested. I also wanted to be as detailed as I thought I needed to be to communicate the problem accurately.

The problem:

I have two accounts, my everyday one and a nearly unused admin one I set up after installing Lion. Whether I start them in safe mode or not, they eventually beachball. The beachball will only show within the app, but although the arrow will appear outside the app window, it can't click on anything and eventually freezes or I just give up and reboot.(Anecdotally, the beachball seems to appear later in safe mode and/or the admin account -- I'm not sure how significant that is.)

I even left the machine at the login screen overnight, and when I clicked to login this morning . . . beachball!

Note: my Boot Camp partition runs fine; my Safari-only guest account also doesn't seem to crash (I'm typing from it now).

The context:

I made many software changes over the past few days; I had an Evernote file full of minor tweaks and changes I had run across, adding and sometimes deleting new apps -- nothing shady or major (for example, I started backing up with Crashplan . . . but it had not finished). Obviously, though, I may have screwed something up there, though in Safe Mode, most of those changes should be excluded from the runtime environment. Previous to this, I've had an ancient problem with one gigantic/complex spreasheet beachballing OpenOffice and LibreOffice, but I was always able to force quit and use other apps.

Remedies/Sugestions I have pursued:

I have no issues with HD space or memory (16G mem, several hundred GB unused on HD) and can't detect any audible, abnormal HD noise.

I have searched through these forums and tried

• watching System Monitor and iStat for abnormal CPU or memory surges around crash points, and nothing suspcious happens, not even any page outs, other than an app goes into Not Responding status, then the beachball hits and all apps freeze (including Activity Monitor
  • In Recovery Disk mode, Disk Utility found no errors on Verify Disk and only miscellaneous permissions to repair
  • Detaching all peripherals (except my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, as well as my ethernet connection)
  • Apple's AHT software test, including the hour-plus extended test with peripherals detached: no errors
  • Cleaning all caches with Onyx (to treat possible file corruption)
  • Scanning the whole disk with Sophos for viruses and malware, nothing found
  • Looked at Console logs around the time of beachball appearance. I am not very good at "Console" interpretation. I don't see any obvious crash precursors there, but I'm not really even sure what I'm looking for. I can post some partial logs of activity just before the appearance of the beachball if anyone thinks that would help.
Possible remedies not yet tried, wasn't sure of their applicability to my case and/or are last resorts

I have seen four other recommendations that might apply to my situation:

• run unix shell commands, such as the ones found in this thread, and post the log
  • uninstall all third party software (not looking forward to that!)
  • clone system to backup HD and see if it works there (I have a HD large enough to do this, but Time Machine's on it and taking up too much space for this to work)

What else should I try in a desperate attempt to avoid restoring from Time Machine (and should I expect that a restore with Time Machine will even solve the problem)? (Ironically, I am about a month beyond the warranty and, yeah, I started Crashplan yesterday, but too late for a backup to occur.)

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 4:02 PM

Great work so far! 🙂

I think the logs are our best chance for clues.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

Or...

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed. Or list what is there.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2013 4:02 PM in response to jdouge

Great work so far! 🙂

I think the logs are our best chance for clues.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

Or...

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed. Or list what is there.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Jan 13, 2013 6:17 PM in response to BDAqua

This worked! Using Console logs around crash times, I found a preference pane for a deleted program that was starting a process I could see in Activity Monitor that tried to activate its non-existent app. Over 12 hours running now, no problems.

Though I did feel like I was back in Windows World again. My own fault, but thanks for th help in solving it.

Jan 17, 2013 12:04 AM in response to jdouge

Glad you found a solution, there. I had a similar 'beachball of death' (BBOD) problem recurring lately, mostly in Safari (5.1.3), and especially when rearranging bookmarks in the "Show All Bookmarks" page. Thought I would share my process and eventual fix, so it might save someone else a lot of time and hassle; read on...

At a point of frustration, I googled the BBOD issue re: Safari...

At first, I considered the cache was full, so emptied it, and then tried quitting/restarting Safari: no joy.

Next, I figured it may be the 3rd party plugins, so unchecked them in Safari>Preferences>Extensions: nope.

Then, I browsed around a bit more looking for solution[s]; others have suggested Console log checks, etc., Which seemed plausible (I did find a novel download for checking system processes and adding to clipboard for diagnostics & Apple Support Community: EtreCheck [http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck]). These logs/checks didn't really expose any particular culprits...

Others have noted circularities in processing related to wifi and/or Airport issues. However, I don't have any wireless stuff on or setup on my computer. However, that led me to more looking and looking into network possibilities, whereupon I found a blogger with an apparent fix : [http://www.tonyzampogna.com/2012/02/08/safari-not-working-but-firefox-does/] He suggested simply making a new location in Preferences (see link)

So--I created a new location (eg., 'Home') , in System Preferences > Network, duped dns settings from original [proxies, etc., if need be] and ...Viola!! Things seem back to normal now...Woot!

Thanks, Tony Z 😉

Hope this might help someone else! 🙂 Good Luck, and happy Mac-ing...

Recurrent beachball in all apps in Lion, eventually freezes iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.