Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB SuperDrive - Anybody get this piece of junk to work?

Sorry not Mac Air related but Apple doesn't have a topic for this by itself and I guessed most of the people who have used one had Airs.

Just bought one for my wife's iMac (running 10.8.2. and is fine apart from a dead optical drive).

Plugged it in nothing (wouldn't accept a disc let alone display it on the desktop).

Restarted, nothing.

Not recognised by Disk Utility.

Not bad for something bought 15 mins ago.

Of course Apple support want a serial number (which these don't have) before I can start an on line support session.

Looks like another day wasted on the 'phone to Apple support on Monday and then arranging an exchange and other PITA issues.

Whatever happened to "Boom, it just works"

RIP - Steve.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 5:50 PM

9 replies

Jan 12, 2013 7:28 PM in response to Mark Gibson7

I completely understand the frustration. However I believe I may have found something to help. Below a change you can make in Terminal to allow the USB SuperDrive to work with your computer. I just tried it out and it worked! If you feel comfortable with terminal, you might want to try:

**********Be sure to have backed up your computer before changing anything like this in Terminal!**********

1. open a terminal
  2. type (on a single line)
    sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
  3. Insert “mbasd=1″ in the <string></string> value below the <key>Kernel Flags</key> (If the string is not empty to begin with (it normally is), then use a space to separate the mbasd=1 from what’s already there). The file will then look like:
    <?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC “-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN” “ http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd” >
    <plist version=”1.0″>
    <dict>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string> mbasd=1</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

[Update: As CyborgSam pointed out in the comments, the file might not yet exist at all on some Macs. In that case, the pico editor window will initially be empty - if so, just copy and paste the entire XML block from above].

4. Save (press Ctrl-X, answer yes to save by pressing Y, press enter to confirm the file name).
  5. Restart your machine. That’s it!

Found this here: http://www.hardturm.ch/luz/2011/10/how-to-make-the-macbook-air-superdrive-work-w ith-any-mac/

Good luck and be careful!

Jun 25, 2013 4:15 PM in response to Mark Gibson7

The reason your Superdrive didn't work is because unless you're running a 2012 iMac the Apple Superdrive is NOT meant to work with your machine.

See this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5630

So that is why it didn't "Boom just work" Due to your ignorance not the death of Steve Jobs.

I would've advised you to return it and purchase a 3rd party external superdrive that would work on a Mac. Instead of playing around in terminal.

USB SuperDrive - Anybody get this piece of junk to work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.