Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new mac and apparently NOBODY know where iPhoto stores images

I moved to a Mac from Windows and after searching communities and googling the internet it has become crystal clear that abolutely nobody knows where photos are located on the disk drive. Please don't provide a long drawn out diatrab, just tell me where the files that iPhoto imported.

Additionaly, please don't say Picture because that is jut a link to iPhoto. I can deduse that the file name is 20121228-193048 (guessing this is a date and time of import but again... Nobody know where this is... I will be calling support tomorrow but thought I would toss this out to see if there is any answers.

Fanboys and Trolls need not reply

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:47 PM

Did you open iPhoto and not find them there?

It is not a link. It is a package, which is just a folder that is displayed as a single item.

If that is the name of it instead of iPhoto Library, then the migration probably didn't complete correctly.

You can get inside the package by right-clicking on it and choose show package contents. However, you should not need to as the should be displayed in iPhoto.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2013 6:47 PM in response to ashobe

Did you open iPhoto and not find them there?

It is not a link. It is a package, which is just a folder that is displayed as a single item.

If that is the name of it instead of iPhoto Library, then the migration probably didn't complete correctly.

You can get inside the package by right-clicking on it and choose show package contents. However, you should not need to as the should be displayed in iPhoto.

Jan 12, 2013 6:59 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your informative input Barney, That's a new one, never hear that before. 😎.

You're right, I need learn the system works (need to buy a book becaus to me it is not intuitive) and is why I posted the request. Searching for hours without a simple straigh forward answer as you provided was very frustrating.

The FanBoy and Troll comment come from the multipage rant back and forth when all I was trying to do was find a simple answer, not debate the relevence of the quesiton.

While I was generalized in my comments due to personal history, your directed comment about my user names drops your credibilty on this board.

Jan 12, 2013 8:01 PM in response to ashobe

eh NOPE!...

Andrew's answer was exactly correct. As I posted earlier, if that string of numbers is the name of your iPhoto Library, something didn't finish right.

Fanboys and Trolls need not reply
While I was generalized in my comments due to personal history, your directed comment about my user names drops your credibilty on this board.

No, just yours.

Jan 13, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

The string of numbers was the final lcation of the images, I was not missing the Photo Library. This was a brand new out of the box MacBook w/Mountain Lion. There was not any migration.

Andrew's answer was not exactly correct...

The full path is /Users/{home directory name}/Pictures/iPhoto Library from the GUI or ../iPhoto Library.photolibrary from the terminal.

Can we stop the bashing now? it is counter productive.

Jan 13, 2013 9:16 AM in response to ashobe

ashobe wrote:

The string of numbers was the final lcation of the images, I was not missing the Photo Library. This was a brand new out of the box MacBook w/Mountain Lion. There was not any migration.

Andrew's answer was not exactly correct...

The full path is /Users/{home directory name}/Pictures/iPhoto Library from the GUI or ../iPhoto Library.photolibrary from the terminal.

Can you?

Jan 13, 2013 10:01 AM in response to ashobe

Andrew's was a relative path, assuming you would understand that User was your Home. I normally just say your user/whatever since the default locations on the Finder Sidebar point to the user's home folder.

Depending on when your iPhoto Library was created, it may or may not have the .photolibrary extension. That is new with Mountain Lion. Migrated libraries will not have the extension, hence a majority of the replies to your question would be just, "your user/Pictures/iPhoto Library."

For unix, ../ means go up a directory level. So, you would have had to be in the iPhoto Library directory for that path to work.

Without a starting /, it is a relative path from your current working directory. Starting with a / means start at the root of the hard drive.

~/ means your Home directory, so you may see that notation occasionally. E.g. ~/Documents , ~/Pictures, ~/Library

Speaking of ~/Library (your user/Library). That folder is hidden. To get to it, you must hold down the option key and select Library from the Go menu. You can unhide it, but I haven't found much of a reason to dig around in there. Most of the time it is just troubleshooting.

Getting back to the iPhoto Library, digging around in that folder will likely damage the iPhoto Library database. If you don't want to let iPhoto handle file manipulation, you can set it not to copy images into the iPhoto Library. It will index them externally. You can do everything from within iPhoto that you can do moving files around. If you need an actual file, say for uploading to a website, just drag the photo from iPhoto into the open file dialog and it will point to the file. Or, you can right-click and reveal it in the Finder.

Oh, I thought you wanted to be treated that way. I always figure people want to be treated the way they treat others. Given your namecalling and curt, arrogant responses to others, I thought you wanted us to treat you that way, too.

Jan 13, 2013 10:20 AM in response to ashobe

ash --

Unfortunately, you came in here with your guns firing. Hard to attract exceptionally kind, non-confrontational answers to such a deliberately hostile entrance.

However, When you open the Finder from your Dock, look down the list on the left, you'll find PICTURES. One click is all that's needed. You don't need Terminal at all.

User uploaded file

Maybe this will help you, overall. It's written specifically for PCers going over to Macs.

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

new mac and apparently NOBODY know where iPhoto stores images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.