Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture and Project Paths

I am trying organize my aperture library by first deleting my many duplicate photos. This library was originally built from my iphoto photos that were permanently brought over once I purchased aperture a while back. The project path is named iphoto for these photos. They appear to be in a folder called "iphoto Library" under the "Projects" tab, but when I open the folder the photos are not broken into events as many expect. Also, the photos from this folder do not appear when I select the "Projects" box under the "Library" heading. Meaning I cannot find a project called "iphoto Library" to match the project path. Does all this matter? Does the project path name matter? I hope I am being clear, thanks for even hanging in this far.

In addition, I imported photos and many were duplicates. These duplicate photos have the old label I gave them for project path name such as "December vacation" whereas the very same photos I imported from iphoto have the project path name "iphoto." Does it matter which one I delete? They are both the same size, resolution, etc. Is this going to screw up organization? I have 1,000s of duplicates that I am going through and deleting and they are the same photos in every single aspect (file name, size, pixel size, etc), they just have different project path names and their dates are literally off by a few seconds (I am guessing some sort of import issue via user error several years back).

In summary, does the project path name of my photo matter? If I have two photos that are the exact same except for project path name what does it matter which one I delete?

Aperture 3

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 7:42 PM

4 replies

Jan 15, 2013 8:17 PM in response to lostindc

I'll try.

Folders hold other containers. They do not hold Images.

Every Image must be in a Project. No Image can be in more than one Project.

This and some other helpful information can be found in my short guide to the parts of Aperture.

The Image's Project Path is simply the Folders that contain the Project that holds the Image, e.g.: "Folder-A➞Folder-B➞Folder-C➞{Your Project}". The Project name is "Your Project". The Project path is, rightly, "Folder-A➞Folder-B➞Folder-C➞". By convention the Project name is appended to the Project path.

I can't figure out from your first paragraph what you have done. There are no "events" in Aperture. The Project name and the Project path are different things.

As for eliminating duplicates, the path indicates in which Project each Image resides. They might be in the same Project. When you delete one, it is no longer available in the Project in which it resides. Which of several dupes you delete is entirely up to you.

You can right-click and Image and select "Show in Project" when you are viewing the Image in a container other than the Project that holds it.

So:

An Image's Project Path tells you where in your Library the Project is located.

An Image's Project tells you which Project holds the Image.

Does that help?

The dupes may have been created by older versions of iPhoto that created new files when adjustments were made. I don't use iPhoto, so I'm not certain.

Jan 16, 2013 7:11 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

Thanks for the reply. I knew I could count on quality information from a person located in Pittsburgh. Your info confirms my thoughts that Project Path is important in the sense of knowing where the project is located and in turn what project holds the image.

The duplications of photos and thumbnails occurred around 2008 or 2009. Some folks claim it was due to a bug in iphoto others claim user error. In any event I have a bunch of duplicates that are the exact same photos except stored in different projects. With this issue I am going to find a different method of organizing photos instead of relying on projects just to do it automatically, meaning I will use folders and albums to now organize.

Thanks

Aperture and Project Paths

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.