Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15 inch Retina - Small Screen chips.

So this is my third MPBr, the first 2 I took back within the 2 weeks and got them replaced because they had these sort of "small circle screen chips"

We confirmed they where chips because if you rubbed your finger or fingernail slightly over them you could feel the small divit

And alas, my third MBPr has gotten the same problem. You can see it just above where it says "communities" (Yes I took it while writing this)

I'm not too worried because it is tiny, I have a screen cover arriving soon aswell, but has anyone else had this problem? Why is it caused?

I seriously never touch the screen anymore and clean it so gently with the Apple cloth that came with it. But it keeps happening!

P.S. I have applecare so I guess I can get it fixed if I really want to, but I'm just over the hassle. It shouldn't happen anway.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 7:34 PM

5 replies

Jan 12, 2013 7:40 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

I know I know, but I have done that twice already (this is my third MBPr). I was just wondering if it has happen to anyone else and if they know why it happens? As you can imagine I have been extremely careful with it and it keeps happening?

I think I read somewhere that the MBPr doesn't have a protective layer on the screen, as to reduce glare and produce a better image? I thought this may be the reason that it is so fragile?

Dec 3, 2014 3:30 PM in response to KINGKIDDO

I realize this post is over a year old, but I'm on my second MacBook Pro with this issue. This time I only see one chip, my previous one that was replaced had much more. I've been debating whether it's even worth trying to get this one replaced if it's just going to keep happening. I guess it's not a very common issue or those that it does happen to don't bother posting about it because I can't find very much information on if this is a common issue or not.

Dec 3, 2014 9:25 PM in response to KINGKIDDO

I have the same issue there are tree of them on my 13 MBPr. Its really annoying seeing as I do a lot of photo editing and watch a lot of video content. I initially thought that it might be a granual of some sort lodged in the screen but this makes far more sense. Did they just replace it, with no problem? I too have apple care and have only had my mac for 4 months. As much as I paid for this device for the screen glass to be doing this is not acceptable.

P.s. If you could recommend a screen protector that would be great!

Nov 11, 2015 9:53 PM in response to KINGKIDDO

HI All,

I too have this same problem on my 2013 MBPr 13".

Had the screen replaced as had several chips and they seemed to be multiplying.

Now not 2 months later on the new screen I have the same thing.

After the first one I've been even more careful than usual, kept it clean, made sure there is no sand or dust or anything on the keyboard but still its happened. Very disappointed and would love to know whats happening.

Macbook Pro 15 inch Retina - Small Screen chips.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.