Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I setup my mac mini with my macbook

I don't have a monitor or keyboard outside of my macbook at this time, is there any way to connect a ethernet cable between the two, or maybe use airport. I can't use VNCs because I haven't actually set up the mini, it's just out of the box and for another week or so I won't have the monitor (depends on how long it takes to get here). This fact does not change my want to play with my new toy so, there's my question; does the initial setup have to be done plugged into a monitor or can you do it through a macbook? Secondly, if I cannot do it through a my 'book' is the best thing to set it up somewhere else and bring it back home with a vnc client installed or simple screen sharing, remote viewing, etc as there are so many different directions to go from there, which way is best to use my laptop as a remote shell for the mini?

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 7:19 PM

4 replies

Jan 12, 2013 10:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Actually, heartbreaking as it is, this MB doesn't have FW, from what I hear/understand there was about 6months to a year or so that Apple didn't use FW ports on MBs, I think the Pros had it, though I'm not sure; and YES I have one of those macs! So, the FW access is a no go. I'm trying to do the server option now, will post if it works, thanks. Before I get to it, the firewire free Macs... That was a horrendous idea and really aggrevating, I bought a couple cables for it, assuming it would have FW ports, as I've been using Macs for ten or fifteen years and they've all had FW but for some reason this one doesn't.

Can I setup my mac mini with my macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.