Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How setup Airport Express time zone "Asia/Krasnoyarsk" automatically?

Hello!

I need your support to understand how AirPort Express sets time zone automatically.

I live in Krasnoyarsk, Russia. Upon connectin AirPort Express for the first time the time zone was set as "Asia/Hong Kong" and the box "Set time zone automatically" was checked. Few days later time zone automatically changed to Asia/Krasnoyarsk.

I wonder how the AirPort figured that out and why it didn't determined it just after connection? I mean why it determines it's location not instantly and how it figures out it's location without having GPS module? Can anyone tell?

PS It is not a matter of great importance but i'm very-very curious what's happening with time zone and why it behaves so strange! =))

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:15 PM

7 replies

Jan 13, 2013 7:39 AM in response to Dr.Alexx

That is what the most curious is! I did connect just the same way as it was before. But the time zone didn't set correct. Furthermore - even the previous time the time zone set correctly automatically just not immediately after connection but some time later.

That's why I'm very-very curious of the logic how the time zone is set.

Jan 13, 2013 8:33 AM in response to Dr.Alexx

Dr.Alexx wrote:

... some time later.

This might be because the Extreme takes it's time to query the IP's location? I have looked this up and it would seem that IP geolocation is indeed how the Extreme gets it's location, and, therefore, the time zone. This "glitch" wouldn't seem to be normal with the Extreme.

Jan 16, 2013 10:15 AM in response to edex67

5 days have passed since I rest my AirPort Express and set it up a-new.

Location shown is still Asia/Hong Kong.

Checked my current IP @ http://ipsee.ru - location Krasnoyarsk shown correctly. Still, AirPort doesn't set up time zone automatically.

The only suspicion is that it is happening because now I connect via PPPoE. And the first time I set up my AirPort it was an Ethernet connection with direct IP, without PPPoE.

Sep 15, 2013 12:34 AM in response to Dr.Alexx

I found the matter!

If you make a clean setup of AirPort or TimeCapsule from OS X device u have a HUGE number of locations available in your AirPort locations list - including Krasnoyarsk.

If u set up the same device (clean setup, after full reset) with a PC Airport Utility - u have only limited list of locations!

The most interesting thing - that the list of location remains uchanged until u hard-reset the device again! For example, if u had set up a device from an iMac - u will have a full locations list even if you addreess you time capsule from a PC. Vice versa - if u initially set up the device from a PC AirPort Utility - u will not have a full list of locations even if u enter it from an iMac AirPort utility afterwards.

How setup Airport Express time zone "Asia/Krasnoyarsk" automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.