Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking 2 airport expresses

I have a new airport express for wifi. I want to get my original airport express to act as a network extender (and plug in something to it's ethernet port) but can't get the original to see the new express' network. What do I do?

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:45 PM

3 replies

Jan 13, 2013 1:24 AM in response to jed240

I assume by "new airport express" you are referring to the 2nd generation 802.11n AirPort Express Base Station (AXn). What model is your "original airport express?" Is it a 1st generation 802.11n or a 802.11g model?

If it is the former, please refer to the following Apple Support article for details on how to configure an extended network. On the other hand if it is an 802.11g model, check out this Apple Support article instead.

Jan 13, 2013 1:32 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax, thanks for replying. The new express is the 'n' and it is currently running wifi fine and all my gadgets can see it. The old express is a 'g' and I need utility 5.6 for that which will not install on my OS 10.8.2. The work around I found to strip out the installer also doesn't work, I just get a shell script error.

So my utility 6.1 can see the old AE 'n' but when I select it to configure it, it says I need utility 5.6. That doesn't install so I am stuck.

Linking 2 airport expresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.