Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

manage storage on icloud

Hello

could someone please help me with this: My icloud storage is full so i cannot back up the info on my phone. When I click on "manage storage" under storage nothing happens! how can I see what's in icloud and delete it? I don´t want to delete the icloud account completely.

many thanks in advance

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 5:10 AM

13 replies

Jan 13, 2013 5:38 AM in response to Winston Churchill

OK, so you mean I should delete the account, switch off the phone and then it will be there and I use "manage storage" again or? I'm a bit hesitant to just delete it after reading other storage discussions here on the forum :-S

I just don't understand why nothing happens when I press "manage storage".

I also have a Mac, can I somehow manage storage on iphone iCloud that way by iphone connecting it to my mac? Sorry, I'm a bit lost here...

really grateful for help!

Jan 13, 2013 5:43 AM in response to huxflux

I was suggesting just restarting the phone as an initial step. Explaining that deleting the account shouldn't be a worry was just an explanation at this stage in response to your comments about it.

When you tap manage storage, the phone contacts iCloud, so it might take a few seconds to load.

Yes you can get to the same place from your Mac. Sysytem Preferences > iCloud > Manage.

Jan 13, 2013 6:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

thanks for your reply 🙂

I did this:

1. restarting the phone - nothing happened

2. clicked on "manage storage" (again) - nothing happened (it doesn't contact, load, do anything, and I'm on Wi-fi)

I cannot access icloud from my Mac it seems. There's nothing under "Finder" -"System settings". I also tried to search for "icloud" in the help window.

But surely there must be a way to manage the icloud account simply from the iphone?

What will happen if I click "delete account" under "icloud"? How can I restore it? and if so, all the data will re-instated as you say, so it doesn't change anything does it? because it's some of the data I want to delete.

Maybe I should just go to the iphone store and ask them?

Sorry for all the stupid questions :-S

thanks again

Jan 13, 2013 6:29 AM in response to huxflux

Your Mac's operating system may be too old for iCloud, iCloud comes with 10.7.2 and later.

If you delete your account, you would simply add it back again by entering your ID and password into the iCloud settings, although I couldn't say whether this might help or not.

Do you have any other issues with iCloud and are you able to log into iCloud.com on your computer.

What data are you trying to delete.

Jan 13, 2013 10:17 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you so much.
Yeah, the operating system is too old.

I could log into icloud via your link though, thanks!

This is what I want to do: when I first got the iphone, I was told to switch on the photo saving in icloud on my phone. Since I take a lot of pics, I later switched it off, but I suspect that my 5 GB might still be taken up by pics, and I want to delete them, since I have everything copied on to my Mac anyway. When I log in to icloud now however, there's no photo folder?

Could it be that my 5GB are all taken up by other things? This is what I've switched on for copying now: contacts, find my iphone, document and data.

Or should I not worry so much about security copying to icloud?

Feb 19, 2013 5:16 PM in response to huxflux

Had the same problem recently (on an iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1). The phone couldn't back up to iCloud as the storage limit had been exceeded, and tapping "Manage Storage" in the iCloud settings didn't work: it just briefly showed a spinning wheel but I couldn't enter the Manage Storage screen. Looks like a bug.

In the end I was able to solve it via the iCloud settings on a laptop, as Winston Churchill suggested. Using this route, I removed the backup that was clogging the available 5GB free storage, after which I was able to access Manage Storage again to tweak the settings. In my case this meant disabling iCloud backups of photos in the camera roll, which was the reason for the large size of the backup file in the first place.

Here's what I did:

1. Important step: first of all, make a backup of your phone in iTunes by connecting it to the computer and chosing the backup option in iTunes. You will delete the iCloud backup in step 3, so it's best to have another backup handy. It's not very likely your phone will crash in the short time it takes to complete these steps, but better safe than sorry.

2. After making the full phone backup, I downloaded all the photos from the camera roll onto my computer and deleted them from the phone. There are different ways of doing this, on a Mac you can for instance use Image Capture. This step is not really necessary to get the backups working again as you will probably disable camera roll backups in step 3 anyway, but it's good to get into the habit of backing up photos on the computer regularly, rather than in iCloud. If you want to keep some photos on the phone as well, you can always copy them back from the computer onto the phone.

3. Access iCloud storage management via the computer rather than the iPhone. Instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4847 > Backup > Deleting backups and turning off Backup for your device > Mac OS X (or Windows 8, Windows 7 and Vista). If you can't or don't want to upgrade your MacOS version, you can access your iCloud storage management from any other computer with the right version of MacOS or Windows, by logging in with your AppleID. If you use a Windows computer and the iCloud control panel hasn't been installed yet, you can find it here http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html.

I don't think you can delete specific elements like the camera roll from the backup this way, you have to delete the whole thing. But you made another backup in step 1 so this isn't really a problem.

4. On the iPhone, try to access Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage again - it should work now. In the next screen, choose your iPhone and you will get the Backup Options where you can switch backups on and off for different apps. It shows you how much storage each app takes, you will probably see that the Camera Roll is the largest so you may want to switch that off. Once you're happy with the settings, go back two screens to Storage & Backup and switch Icloud Backup back on (it was automatically switched off in step 3), and if you are on Wi-Fi, tap Back Up Now so it makes a new iCloud backup right away.

That's all, hope it solves your problem.

Sep 18, 2013 2:39 PM in response to huxflux

There is a unbelievably simple "solution" to this problem (not getting in to manage storage, only spinning wheel).

All you have to do is click "backup now" at the bottom and immediately as it is calculating estimated time for backup you click "manage storage" and VOILA! You´re in. Believe me it works, done it on 2 phones this evening. One 4s on iOS7 and one 5 on iOS6.1.3

manage storage on icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.