5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 4:48 AM by mumbles2701
mumbles2701 Level 1 Level 1

Hi Forum

i have a headless Mini controlled by my MBP. we also have a pc laptop with dock and screen. To do some extrax things i have bought a mini to VGA screen cable converter from apple to plug in the Mini to the screen but the screen wont pick up the signal and simply powers down. Any ideas why?

the screen works fine with the laptop and dock. i spoke to Apple in store and they said this would work.

the Mini is 2011.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • den.thed Level 7 Level 7

Sounds like you may need to release control of the Mac Mini, shut it down, connect up a USB keyboard and start it up resetting the > NVRAM and PRAM so that it will detect the monitor.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

• mumbles2701 Level 1 Level 1

didnt work... did exactly as you said, but no screen.

can i see if its detrcted if a screen is attached? somewhere in settings?

• den.thed Level 7 Level 7

Does the Monitor only support VGA or does it support both DVI and VGA...? If it also supports DVI, try using the Apple supplied HDMI to DVI adapter and a DVI cable instead.

im told by Apple that a HDMI to VGA will not work as its 2 incompatible signals.

How would i know if the screen supports VGA and.or DVI? The screen is definitely VGA supported as it works with the pc docking station we have. The Same cable plugged into the Mini Display to VGA adapter doesnt work.

Odd. i read that it should

the display in question is a HP1702. Any ideas how i would find out if this works with a Mini?