Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catastrophic FaceTime Failure OS X 10.8.2

It appears that FaceTime on my Mac Pro has became corrupt, and is sufffering what I would call is a catastrophic failue. Please see the attached image of the FaceTime application window.

1. Both the Preferences and Turn FaceTime On commands are greyed out in the drop down menu.
  2. Admin is NOT permitted to delete the application and restore from a backup (the OS refuses to permit deletion or modification of the app because "Mac OS requires it" (what is this MS and IE all over again, are you kidding me?)). I did try to restore just the FaceTime application from a previous backup via Time Machine; unfortunately, the Admin account was not permitted to do so for the same reason stated above.
  3. I WAS able to move the package contents to the trash and replace them in the application Contents directory from a previous working state via Time Machine backup.
  4. I rebooted the system after doing so and the kernel panicked. It forced a reboot (automatically).
  5. As a whole, the system appears to be functioning OK now, EXCEPT FaceTime remains corrupt - no changes, still nonfunctional.
  6. FaceTime does not engage the camera
  7. The camera seems OK - it works just fine with Photo Booth.

I would greatly appreciate the community's assistance in helping me identify a solution!

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: CoffeeBean to add scree shot.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 7:23 PM

I am not sure why I can't edit my own original post, however I have an UPDATE:

FaceTime is now working once again. The only thing I can think of that would have resulted in this resolution is that I powered the machine down and left it off for a significant amount of time. Enough time perhaps for any residual information being held in memory to be cleared. So perhaps I experienced something like an in-memory corruption that did not correct itself on reboot? Search me. Anyway, even if I should not be understanding the resolution correctly, perhaps the solution for others who might experience this is not simply to reboot, but instead to power the system off for a couple of minutes or more and then start the system.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2013 7:23 PM in response to CoffeeBean

I am not sure why I can't edit my own original post, however I have an UPDATE:

FaceTime is now working once again. The only thing I can think of that would have resulted in this resolution is that I powered the machine down and left it off for a significant amount of time. Enough time perhaps for any residual information being held in memory to be cleared. So perhaps I experienced something like an in-memory corruption that did not correct itself on reboot? Search me. Anyway, even if I should not be understanding the resolution correctly, perhaps the solution for others who might experience this is not simply to reboot, but instead to power the system off for a couple of minutes or more and then start the system.

Catastrophic FaceTime Failure OS X 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.