Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get to facetime preferences? It is greyed out...

How do I get to FaceTime preferences if it is greyed out? I can't log in to FaceTime...was working fine. Now I get a message "The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later" For a week and I have created another apple id...nothing works. My time settings are fine... Please help.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 11:14 AM

13 replies

Jan 13, 2013 1:17 PM in response to e00025

Hi,

Many people are reporting similar issues with the iMessages account in Messages.

I would start with deleting the com.apple.facetime.bag.plist item

To do this you need to be in the Finder > Go Menu > Go to Folder and type ~/Library/Preferences into the Dialogue box that appears.

Find the File and Drag it to the Trash.

Restart FaceTime (it will recreate the .plist)

The issue with the iMessages account is linked to the lack of a Serial Number showing up

Apple Menu > About this Mac > Click the line with the OS version twice (Build number then Serial Number)

User uploaded file
9:16 PM Sunday; January 13, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Aug 9, 2013 12:54 PM in response to James Coley

HI James,

In Lion FaceTime was an Add-on App that introduced the IMAgent to the system. (iChat used iChatAgent).

In Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.x) IMAgent took over from iChatAgent and was used by both apps.

This means that in Lion boith FaceTime and iChat (6) can use the camera at the same time (they both invoke vcencoder and if it is running the other app can "tap in" as it were).

In Mountain Lion you get one instance of vcenconder and therefore only one app accessing it.

If you happen to have the Messages Preferences open at the Preview Video pic in the Video Preferences (or have left the Video Effects Panel on show) you may have difficulty in getting FaceTime to open (It goes straight to Preview).

I have had not issues running both apps when a Video is not being used in Messages.

User uploaded file
8:54 pm Friday; August 9, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 15, 2013 8:46 PM in response to e00025

I have the same problem; and the same problem when trying to search in Finder. I guess I won't bother using it, and I probably won't bother buying another Mac. I converted to Apple after the epic fail that was Vista. It seems that Apple has hired all the Vista people and is now ruining their own reputation. What other options are there?

Oct 4, 2016 11:05 AM in response to e00025

none of this helps. face time stopped working. says login and pw are wrong. i click change pw and it sends me to log into apple. i use same correct login and pw and it works fine logging into apple. go back to face time and use same login and pw. says incorrect pw and login. click create new account, it is unclickable. i go to preferences it is greyed out unclickable. i go to search for plist, does not exist. i search for iMessage, it does not exist. how come apple products just stop working when i use the same info. to log in??? just got rid of iPhone 5 because of planned obsolesce and now the macbook is crapping out. poor apple. does anyone have a real solution to a real problem that should not exist?>>>>>

Oct 4, 2016 11:14 AM in response to TonyGoHARDER

Hi,

Have you a Font Manager of any description ?

Have you turned Off any Fonts by any type of Font Manager ?

I don't use FaceTime that often but Messages will not open or show the Preferences if it does if AppleGothic is not there.

User uploaded file

7:14 pm Tuesday; October 4, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Oct 4, 2016 11:58 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

how come people reply with nonsense. a font manager??? i am talking about face time. there is nothing on my computer name font manage or message or iMessages. i have stated the problem. FaceTime will not accept my correct login name and password. i have to login into apple with the same information. it works to log in to apple website. it works on iTunes app. it works on iPod. it will says i am incorrect and does not exist on face time app. i have changed all settings and i have reset password with no success. i have used tried to use the help listed here going through settings but like always when following the steps i hit a point that is non existent in my process. it will be listed as a step for example "click preferences" on the apple menu. mine is greyed out so i cannot continue. or the example saying to go to iCloud in the settings menu then go to account details then click security…. yeah after account details, there is nothing to click saying security. so that is my point. all possible solutions listed here by people don't exist on my 2012 macbook pro… always different steps. nothing works…

Oct 4, 2016 12:18 PM in response to TonyGoHARDER

The Original Question states the Preferences are inaccessible.

Presumably as you have joined this thread that is also your Starting point.

Here is a Thread that deal specifically with Messages not opening as the AppleGothic Font is missing.

Re: My messages won't open at all on my macbook pro.

Turning Off or removing Fonts from th Hard Drive name/System/Library/Fonts (System Fonts) will cause issues all over the OS if they are missing.

Some Alternative versions installed by some third party apps can case duplicate issues.

There are also Fonts in Hard Drive Name/Library/Fonts which can be a mixtures of Apple Installed and User Installed but for use by Every one (every Mac User on your computer)

There is also Hard Drive/Users/(yourShortname)/Library/Fonts where you can install Fonts you only want yourself to have access to.

This thread goes on to talk about having 2 Step Verification set up with Apple and FaceTime needing this.

You have not mentioned that so I did not bring it up.

As the Original Post is 3 years ago it may also pay to start a new thread.

User uploaded file

8:18 pm Tuesday; October 4, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

how do i get to facetime preferences? It is greyed out...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.