Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi keeps dropping out after 9months without problems

At Christmas I bought my lady an Ipad(retina with wifi) sometime after that I noticed my 9month old iphone4s was not connecting to wifi, i thought it may be a DHCP problem on the EDIMAX wifi router which is setup to run WEP, I have tried the following roughly in this order. All with varying degrees of temporary success!

1 toggle wifi in iphone settings

2 toggle airplane mode,

3 Reboot iphone,

4 Reboot router,

5 Factory reset router - no password no encryption,

6 restore via tunes from december 2012 backup

7 restore via itunes from march 2012 backup

8 general reset and restore from march 2012 backup

9 as above but reset all settings via phone

10 Reset network settings in iphone

my wifi constantly drops out, sometimes the wifi toggle switch has greyed out requiring iphone reboot, sometimes even that hasnt worked and requires that the ihone has been restored.

I am now at a loss as to what has happened, is it hardware or software? I bought the phone from Tesco but am i correct that I can take it into any apple store for help?

TIA

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 12:36 PM

8 replies

Jan 28, 2013 11:36 PM in response to iinami

Genius bar told me that the greyed out wifi toggle apparently is an indication the there is a hardware fault!

As you know if you followed the thread, I was able to recover for a very short time by restoring the operating system, but within 30mins the connection was being dropped. toggling the wifi on and off by either "forgetting network" settings or resetting iphone, or using the "aircraft mode" almost always results in a wifi toggle switch being greyed out! I don't know but it is possible that the errors are being tallied internally and on reaching a preset quota inform the user that there is an issue, This in my case takes the form of the wifi being greyed out!

The phone was just in warranty and apple replaced it free of charge, It had a month to run but the phone comes with a 90 day warranty. It was fully backed up so no real problem other than the 100mile round trip to the apple store.

wifi keeps dropping out after 9months without problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.