Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EFI Firmware 1.7 on't update on late 2012 Mac Mini

I bought a 500 GB i5 Mac Mini last Dec. I set it up and updated it to 10.8.2 and updated the EFI Firmware to 1.7 to cover the HDMI flicker issues. But I decided that I wanted to start over from scratch so I re partitioned and did a clean install of Mountain Lion from the recovery disk. All was well until the signal my HDTV was receiving from the Mini started flickering on and off. I hooked it up to a VGA monitor (which worked fine BTW) and tried to install the EFI update but now get a message saying "the software is not supported on this system".

1. Do I need to update my EFI Firmware after a clean system reinstall?

2. If the answer to number 1 is no, then could there be a hardware problem with the graphics card?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), Late 2012 Model

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 11:51 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

EFI updates can only be installed once, so it's normal that the installer says that the update isn't support because you have already installed that update.

It looks like the EFI update could damage something. Unfortunately, there isn't any Firmware Restoration disc for your Mac, so you should take the computer to an Apple Store. Make a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner before taking your Mac

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2013 11:51 AM in response to cincyKid1015

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

EFI updates can only be installed once, so it's normal that the installer says that the update isn't support because you have already installed that update.

It looks like the EFI update could damage something. Unfortunately, there isn't any Firmware Restoration disc for your Mac, so you should take the computer to an Apple Store. Make a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner before taking your Mac

EFI Firmware 1.7 on't update on late 2012 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.