Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mixing/Mastering in Logic Pro v. 9.1.8

I would like to fully understand the process of producing a track. From start to finish. I have my projects in logic unfinished, and they don't sound to their full potential.

1: What is the full process?

First you construct your song...duh. Then make it sound how you want it to sound with effects. Then what? Do you start compressing? Some others say to bounce your song then master it as one file? i am lost.

2: What exactly is desired when mastering? How can I see this step by step? I know it is to get the best sound possible, but i am talking about mechanics. like observing the monitors in logic, what does all of those settings actually mean? What is desired? For example, i have seen tips like leaving headroom. ok so in my project one instrument/sound might be just beneath clipping say a synth. imagine what that would do when adding drums, horns, etc. the output would be over crowded right? how is it that you can get so many instruments to be balanced and STILL have headroom. what exactly do you do?

3: Do you know of any full complete examples on creating a song in logic, mixing it, then mastering it. I would like to see an engineer or someone actually demonstrate the full process, create, mix, master, export, and end up with a final product just so i can observe.

4: Is mixing done better in logic or reason...i have seen "todaysbeats" on youtube and his sound in reason is clear, compressed, its violent. its incredible. or is logic better for mastering?

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 12:31 PM

4 replies

Jan 13, 2013 1:41 PM in response to isiah1018

isiah1018 wrote:

I would like to fully understand the process of producing a track. From start to finish. I have my projects in logic unfinished, and they don't sound to their full potential.

1: What is the full process?

😮

Are you serious? What you're asking is to quickly jot down how to do practically everything. That is a little bit much. If you already know somewhat how to write a song and how to arrange instruments (do you?), then the next step would be to learn to mix. For that there are good books and/or video tutorials. Here is one good adress for that:

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic-application

2. Mastering. For mixing there are specially trained mix-engineers, for mastering there are specially trained mastering engineers. In other words, every recipe can only be quick 'n dirty, and its success mainly depends on your aural talents & experience. But, there are a few good "rough guides" to mastering:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=282853#p282853

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixing-mastering/how-to-master-a-track-in-15 -minutes-or-less/

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/468170-loudness-when-producing-mi xing-tips.html

I don't know of any examples except of course my own, but I can't stand being observed, so... and I live to far away anyway...

4. There is no "better" in DAW-world, there are just personal preferences. The main disadvantage of Reason is that it is instruments only, no audio recording (unless they've added that recently). Also, Reason uses their own, incompatible format for instruments whereas Logic uses the much more common Audio Unit plugin type.

Logic is, like Cubase or Digital Performer or ProTools or Studio One or Sonar or some I may have forgotten, a complete music workstation DAW that can record both audio and MIDI and has a high res mixer.

Professional mastering engineers often use a dedicated stereo audio editor program, geared towards mastering (SoundForge is one, Bias Peak was one). However, it can also be (and is) done in Logic (or any other DAW...).

Even explaining that you are asking a lot is already a lot of work... 🙂 I hope the links get you a step further.

Jan 13, 2013 2:03 PM in response to isiah1018

It's like asking.... how do you live your life, experience is the best teacher.

There is no magic bullet, no one knows what your music even sounds like, different types of music require different considerations.

Read, read read.... then ask more specific questions, experiment.

Just like living, your best bet is to experiment a bit rather than have (or want?) someone telling you how to live.

Erik posted some good links, explore them, learning on your own has hidden benefits, it takes time but has many rewards.

Mixing/Mastering in Logic Pro v. 9.1.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.