Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clearing Out Download Queue in iTunes

Here's my situation:

You know how iTunes lets you scroll through songs you've purchased in iTunes? Great feature, except there's almost a self-destruct button in there. The "Download All" button in the upper right hand corner.

User uploaded file

If you accidentally hit that button, the last 250+ songs you've purchased from iTunes (assuming you've purchased that many since iTunes started in 2000-whatever) will get added to the download queue. But they won't download. The phone can't handle a queue that big (at least my iPhone 4S can't). They'll be stuck in a perpetual queue, and it won't let you download anything else. It also won't let you play any of the songs on the queue, even if you manually transfer them from your PC or Mac via iTunes.

User uploaded file

Normally, you can tap a download and it'll let you swipe to erase it. But these seem to be frozen. I can scroll through the list, but there's no ability to swipe. Plugging this particular issue into Google brings up some suggestions, such as "reset all settings", "reset settings", and doing a restore from backup. But if your backups contain the offending download queue, it's restored as well (and I don't have a backup from before that point, at least one that isn't very, very old).

So I made an appointment for the Genius Bar, and their solution (they seemed to recognize the issue immediately) was to wipe the phone and set it up as new. No problem, except there's no way to backup the SMS/MMS messages. The only method for backing up the SMS/MMS messages is the official backup method. There's no syncing or iCloud whatever for it.

So now, I'm stuck with losing all the SMS/MMS from my phone from the past 5 years, or have an iTunes app on my phone that won't work.

Has anyone else faced this and discovered a solution?

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 5:19 PM

6 replies

Jan 13, 2013 8:08 PM in response to shadeland

shadeland wrote:

I'd rather not lose all those SMS/MMS.

Which is more important, the SMS/MMS history or a working device? I suspect the later is more important.

Honestly, if there are important SMS/MMS messages that you desire to keep, copy the contents of those messages to a note or email. With MMS, simply save the file to the device or email it to yourself.

Jan 13, 2013 8:11 PM in response to diesel vdub

I'd rather have both, and an effective way to back my device up.

Had I known that the backups were not, in fact, and effective way to backup SMS/MMS, I would have taken precautions a while ago. But there's no effective way to backup SMS/MMS. Go through each conversation and save each file? Copy and paste?

That's not a solution. Sadly, iOS has no effective way to back up messages in this instance.

Also, why would they put a "download all" button when it clearly doesn't work?

Jan 13, 2013 8:27 PM in response to shadeland

shadeland wrote:

Had I known that the backups were not, in fact, and effective way to backup SMS/MMS, I would have taken precautions a while ago. But there's no effective way to backup SMS/MMS.

Does any mobile OS provide this? I doubt it. SMS is simply not important to most people.

Keeping 5yrs of message history merely wastes space on the device and potentially slows it down.

If there are important conversations, save those... there is no logical reason to save everything... illogical maybe if the user is a pack rat.

Considering this is the first I've seen of issues with the "Download All" it may be that you're the lucky person to first run across this or it may simply be a fluke, stating it "doesn't work" because one person is having a problem is simply jumping to conclusions with no basis for them.

Jan 14, 2013 2:43 AM in response to diesel vdub

The thing is, I have been backing them up. At least I thought I have. But because of this download issue, my backups have been rendered useless.

You can check this message board and others, I'm not the only one with this issue. Also, the Genius at the Apple store knew exactly what the issue was, and the only solution. So definately not the only one.

Android provides this (via third party, but it's available on their app store).

This is a bug in both the backups and the iTunes.

Clearing Out Download Queue in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.