Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whitebalance skintone adjustment works for non-caucasian?

Does the whitebalance skintone adjustment works for non-caucasian when I use the dropper? If I understood this feature correctly, but using the dropper I am telling Aperture where the skin is and how does Aperture know what the original's person skin color is? Does it automatically assumes everyone is caucasian first?

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 11:24 PM

6 replies

Jan 14, 2013 2:51 AM in response to aapl.crox

I could not find any documentation, that states that the white balance is restricted to certain types of skin colour. I experimented with a varity photos with people from different countries, and compared the results I got for using skin tones to the ones I got for using same gray in the same picture, and the results were similar. If the skin tone correction was not satisfactory, because if bad lighting conditions, the corrections with gray tones was equally bad.

You might wish to experiment as well, for example: upper left: original, upper right - skin tones of the face corrections, lower middle: natural gray (taken from the shirt):

User uploaded file

Jan 14, 2013 7:56 AM in response to léonie

But I guess my question is I'm not understanding the logic of the feature. For neutral grey, it makes sense because you're telling Aperture which part of the photo should be absolute netural grey and it then fixes the whitebalance based on that reference.

But what does skin tone mean? You're telling Aperture that the dropper is pointing at some skin but Aperture might not necessarily know what that skin should look like. It doesn't have a reference point like neutral grey does. The skin could be anything. So does it guess?

Jan 14, 2013 8:20 AM in response to aapl.crox

But what does skin tone mean? You're telling Aperture that the dropper is pointing at some skin but Aperture might not necessarily know what that skin should look like. It doesn't have a reference point like neutral grey does.

But it does - the tan of human skin is caused by a well-known pigment - melanin - only the amount of melanin varies; so the hue of skin can be predicted, only the saturation will vary.

Whitebalance skintone adjustment works for non-caucasian?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.