Hi, I am setting up my OS X Server 2.2 for my small biz (or at least trying to) and I run into a couple of probably very basic questions.
I've already set it up recently with a .private and VPN but then my Time Capsule/Router died. Now with a new TC and the brilliant idea that I want to host my own website, I am a bit lost in what I need and how to make it work.
(what I already have done: spent days on the phone with apple care, but they do not give advise in how to set up/ read apple server texts/ watched hours and hours of screencasts)
- Do I need to change my host from a .private to a .com if I want to start using the domain I bought for hosting my company's website?
- When I do that, do I need to completely reconfigure my settings to make services work?
- Is it necessary to link the services I want clients to use on my server, to a website or could they also use VPN that I set up for them?
- Could I for instance have a login on my website for accessing services, or is VPN safer/easier?
- I am trying to get a dedicated IP address from my service provider for my website, but they have what it seems problems in doing so (Enter stage left: 'Ahaaa Moment) Or is the IP address my router gives my server enough to keep my website and my services accessible by remote networking clients?
- if so, this would save me 240 Swiss Franks/yr
- Anyone any experience with transfering a domain purchased on namecheap.com to my own server? And to add an external SSL to my certificates?
Any information welcome and you'll have my deepest life long gratitude of course. (Would have baked you a cake, but you're probably too far away)
MBP mid 2010 / TC 4th Gen / mac mini OS X Server 2.2