Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad or MacBook?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between buying a MacBook and an iPad.

Can anyone offer advice?

Can an iPad do everything a MacBook can do?

One of the most important things to me is iWorks.

Are Pages, Numbers and Keynote just as good on an iPad?

Are the iMovie and iPhoto Apps the same on both devices or are the iPad versions more basic?

Cheers.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 4:41 AM

12 replies

Jan 14, 2013 4:45 AM in response to The Face At The Window

An iPad is largely meant to be a consumer device....as in used to consume data. Read books, watch movies, listen to music. You can do some creation on it, but most apps are skinned down versions of their original programs and lack functionality.

There are also compatibility issues and challenges in getting data on and off the ipad unless you are always on the internet so you can use something like dropbox.

So if you want to create data and content, go for the macbook. If you want something portable and handy to consume data, then go for the ipad.

I would say, of the two, the macbook is the most functional and universal and compatible.

Jan 14, 2013 5:36 AM in response to The Face At The Window

The Face At The Window wrote:

Can an iPad do everything a MacBook can do?

Cheers.

Bottom line answer - No. No tablet I've ever seen or used can be considered a replacement for a laptop or desktop computer. The inherent limitations of the processor, graphics, memory and storage mean a tablet simply cannot do many things that a computer can do.

I love my iPad 4, but it cannot nor has not replaced my MBP at home or my computers at work. I have Docs to Go and do use it to edit word & excel files sometimes, but it is not suitable for long sessions, and wholly unsuitable sometimes given the scope of what I am working on. The iPad is also not capable of true multi-tasking either, so while I can run a powerpoint presentation from it (even edit it on it), creating one from scratch on it would be a nightmare.

My iPad is great for taking notes at meetings and when away from my desk. I also love it to take things with me that I need to read and which I want to make notes of while reading it (GoodReader is a great app for that, for example - pdf files of published papers or reports I need to read for work load in it and I can annotate them with my notes as needed), and I can use Box.net, Dropbox, 4shared or some such free service to move files between the iPad and my computer(s).

To my mind, the iPad makes a great portable extension to your primary computer(s), but it comes nowhere near replacing them. No tablet is even close to that level yet, nor will be for a long time.

Just my warning that I think you will be setting yourself up for a huge disappointment if you approach an iPad purchase as a computer replacement. It is a superb mobile companion to a main computer, but not a replacement.

Jan 14, 2013 6:14 AM in response to The Face At The Window

I would not want to use one to make a presentation. Normally, when I am working in powerpoint, I have several other programs open as well - Excel or other programs I am using to generate figures, or copy data from and into tables for the presentation, maybe reference pdf docs as well. Trying to work with all that on an iPad would be downright painful and frustrating. And, I think the touch interface is far less practical for that kind of work then a regular keyboard and mouse.

An iPad or tablet just cannot duplicate that kind of work setting, nor the ease of use of a computer for that kind of thing.

Also keep in mind that an iPad 4 has 1GB RAM (iPad 2 512MB), so large presentations, document files or graphic files can get bogged down - many of the files one might work with on their computer, even if they can be opened on an iPad, will be slow to work with, and may require a lot of scrolling to interact with.

Jan 14, 2013 6:34 AM in response to The Face At The Window

I love my iPad. Is it really truly a replacement for my MBP, no. However, I think depending on what you need to create you may be able to manage. I took my only my original iPad to a 3 week class for work and was able to create whole documents and a presentation using the on screen keyboard and nothing else.

If you were serious about using an iPad as your only computer a keyboard would be a smart move and you should look into dropbox as others have mentioned. I think it can be done, but it takes effort.

I have used Pages, Keynote and Numbers on the iPad and I think they handle everything I need them to handle. I even created a whole tracker for work on my iPhone via Numbers and they still use it (in excel) today. Only took a few minutes.

Do I think Apple envisioned the iPad as a computer replacement, no. Do I think that many people around the world are getting by with only an iPad, yes. I think that an iPad extends the life of your computer. You probably have an aging computer and are looking for something more current, quicker, etc. Chances are if you bought an iPad you would use your computer less but have it for the "heavy lifting" you may need to do occasionally.

Honestly it is completely up to you. I think it can be done.

Jan 14, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Michael Black

Michael Black wrote:

I would not want to use one to make a presentation. Normally, when I am working in powerpoint, I have several other programs open as well - Excel or other programs I am using to generate figures, or copy data from and into tables for the presentation, maybe reference pdf docs as well. Trying to work with all that on an iPad would be downright painful and frustrating. And, I think the touch interface is far less practical for that kind of work then a regular keyboard and mouse.

An iPad or tablet just cannot duplicate that kind of work setting, nor the ease of use of a computer for that kind of thing.

Also keep in mind that an iPad 4 has 1GB RAM (iPad 2 512MB), so large presentations, document files or graphic files can get bogged down - many of the files one might work with on their computer, even if they can be opened on an iPad, will be slow to work with, and may require a lot of scrolling to interact with.

I wouldn't say the presentations I'd be doing would be that taxing on the RAM, however, your other points are pretty much the answer.

Thanks, Michael.

Jan 14, 2013 12:59 PM in response to uselessSABOTAGE

uselessSABOTAGE wrote:

I love my iPad. Is it really truly a replacement for my MBP, no. However, I think depending on what you need to create you may be able to manage. I took my only my original iPad to a 3 week class for work and was able to create whole documents and a presentation using the on screen keyboard and nothing else.

If you were serious about using an iPad as your only computer a keyboard would be a smart move and you should look into dropbox as others have mentioned. I think it can be done, but it takes effort.

I have used Pages, Keynote and Numbers on the iPad and I think they handle everything I need them to handle. I even created a whole tracker for work on my iPhone via Numbers and they still use it (in excel) today. Only took a few minutes.

Do I think Apple envisioned the iPad as a computer replacement, no. Do I think that many people around the world are getting by with only an iPad, yes. I think that an iPad extends the life of your computer. You probably have an aging computer and are looking for something more current, quicker, etc. Chances are if you bought an iPad you would use your computer less but have it for the "heavy lifting" you may need to do occasionally.

Honestly it is completely up to you. I think it can be done.

You've cast doubt again 😉.

Cheers. I'll take this into consideration 🙂.

iPad or MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.