Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes U, WSJ Live, Hulu, Personal Video on iPhone: Error on AppleTV

I have realized that updating firmware of my AppleTV, it is now failed to stream iTune U, WSJ Live, HULU, personal videos to my TV. It seems with this update, the HDMI cable is indicated as the course of an error "This content requires HDCP for playback".

Downgrading to version 5.0.2 does not help at all. At the same time, from my technical understanding, I fail to understand why an HDCP error occurs. Can apple and their technical team address this issue once and for all?

Several options would be to allow guys to downgrade the firmware to an original working version. Alternatively, why not address this issue by remotely downgrading firmware of appletv? For guys who are interested in technology, information mining through support communities may do; however to others, this is a real bother that is really painful.

Apple TV

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:40 AM

4 replies

Jan 14, 2013 5:37 PM in response to Brian Cook4

Hi,

I am using an optical fibre with maximum speed of 1G. Several speed tests reveals that on average I achieve at least a download speed of over 40M, which makes network issue not the course of the problem. Some people claim that a new HDMI cable solved their problems, while others claim that swapping the cable helped. On my side, non of these solutions has helped.

I still feel that a technical solution should not have a random solution as illustrated by several postings.

In fact by performing a network test on my AppleTV reveals no issues with network.

Youtube works well, which further illustrates that it is not a network connection issue.

Anyway, thanks Brian.

Jan 15, 2013 7:00 PM in response to yaesumofo

I have tried taking AppleTV and my HDTV & routers through power cycle (disconnecting power, re-wiring, restarting and resetting), but no success. The best I achieve is a 5sec play, and then Hulu freezes.

I have also tried connection using wireless LAN, by disconnecting the wired LAN, but again only a 5sec play, and a dead end.

Once again as a note, YouTube is working perfectly well. The same applies to Movies from Apple Store. However, on top of Hulu, my own low-definition movies cannot also be played over AirPlay.

I now need the very original software that came with Apple TV2. If only Apple Engineers could come out and work on this problem once and for all.

It seems set-boxes from cable TV are far much more reliable than apple.

iTunes U, WSJ Live, Hulu, Personal Video on iPhone: Error on AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.