Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac wireless connection - is this true?

After using a Pc and my Imac to connect to the internet via an ethernet cable for as long as I can remember I now have to move my iMac beyond reach of the cable and want to connect wirelessly. I am using Mountain Lion on an Imac 27". Searching how to do this I am dismayed to find that I need to purchase a 'Base Station' Say it aint so guys. I've been using my cheapo pc laptop wirelessly without needing any extra gear and to find I need to spend £££'s to do the same for my expensive iMac is a bit of a downer. Why cannot I simply connect wirelessly to my router? Or can I and I'm just just too dumb to find out how?

Cheers

Wilf

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac 11,1 Intel Core i5. 2.66GHz

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:41 AM

14 replies

Jan 14, 2013 7:53 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the quick response rk, but I'm still a bit lost. If my laptop connects wirelessly to my router then presumbly the router is wi-fi enabled but how do I get the Mac connectd to it. When I remove the ethernet cable then I can't get on the web. Every search I've made starts with the premise that I have to get a base station to use Airport to connect wirelessly I don't understand this.

W.

Jan 14, 2013 7:59 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

If your router has WiFi capability and is not just an Ethernet router, you should be able to connect you iMac using the iMac's built-in Airport/WiFi receiver. If you need to set passwords and encryption for the router, you need to install the router software either on the PC or if there is a Mac version of the software, install this software of your iMac.

The should be an Airport WiFi symbol at the top right of the main Apple menu, you need to click on this and turn Airport reception on. Your router should show up in a list, you click your router and enter any password you setup to activate the WiFi reception.

If your router is just an Ethernet style router, YOU will need to go out and either purchase an Apple Airport Baae Station router, Apple Airport Express WiFi transmitter or purchase a third party WiFi capable router.

Iin order to have WiFi, you need a router that transmits WiFi signals out from the router. Without this capability, you can not make use of any WiFi capable technology in your home.

Jan 14, 2013 8:02 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

In the upper right of your screen you should see an icon that looks triangular, if it has lines through it then wi-fi is already on and you are connected. If no lines are present then click it, choose turn on wi-fi, select your network and input the security coded (if any) and you're done. If there is no Wi-Fi symbol in the upper right of the screen open http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10672 for instructions.

Jan 14, 2013 8:20 AM in response to MichelPM

OK, the story so far. The triangle icon had the lines through it. Therefore I should be connectd OK? I pulled the ethernet cable and got a box asking me to join a network and asking for a WPA password. I have no idea what this password can be as I have never used Wi-Fi before. I have tried all the passwords I normally use but to no avail.

If I go to System preferences > Network and click Wi-Fi i get a box asking me to select the interface and enter a name for the new service. The box is alread completed with the interface set as Bluetooth PAN and the service name as Bluetooth PAN2. Scrolling down I get the option to select Wi-Fi as interface and Wi-Fi2 as service nameand the option to 'Create'. If I click create will I be creating more problems for myself? Or maybe I should just buy a 50mtr long ethernet cable. 😁

W.

Jan 14, 2013 8:26 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

Whoever setup your network must have put a password in, this is a very good thing. However if you don't know the password you will need to probably reset your router. You will need to locate it and then contact the manufacturer via their web site and look for instructions on resetting the router and setting up a new WPA password. Keep that password in a safe secure location because you may need it down the road.

Jan 14, 2013 8:38 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

If you know the person who setup your router, you need to get the WEP password from this person.

Also, the software for accessing the router is probably on the PC. If maybe good to have this person show you where on the PC the software resides and how to use it for future use.

In additon, you might be able to go to the router manufacturers website and see if they have a Mac version of their router software and perhaps download and install the software onto your iMac, also.

Wifi routers come setup with an initial WEP password. This password is located on the bottom of the router and you should have a duplicate with the router's paperwork. If this is the correct password, I would right it down, again, and put it somewhere safe, but where you can remember where you put it for future use, if it's needed, again.

Good Luck!

iMac wireless connection - is this true?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.