Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Retina 15" freezing when plugging thunderbolt display

When I get to work I connect my (in sleep mode) MBP-Retina to the thunderbolt display and *often* the system symply freezes:

• black screen and
  • completely unresponsive to input (mouse/keyboard).

Unplugging the thunderbolt plug and opening the laptop display does little to help.

The screen remains black and the only solution is to FORCE SHUTDOWN the system.

Note also I have had this problem on two different MacBook Pro Retina laptops and

two thunderbolt 27" display with brand new installs of the OS.

Anybody else having this problem? For a >5k$ setup this is REALLY EMBARASSING...

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:58 AM

8 replies

Dec 13, 2013 10:53 AM in response to SM1288

Hi,

I have the same problem with a MBP 13" bought in April this year and an Thunderbolt display bought one month ago. I am very disapointed, the system freezes, all application run very slow, and I have a black screen. For such equipement at this price, this is really a pity. I thought about turn into ssd drive to have normal speed again with the Thunderbolt. If someone has a solution, I would be glad to read it.

Best,

Stephane

Apr 10, 2014 1:14 PM in response to kjbaker01

🙂 I have the solution finally. You need to upgrade to 16 Go RAM the Mac Book Pro, then it's flawless. The latest OS version plus application running simultaneously plus Thunderbolt display takes a lot of RAM ressources. So an upgrade is required. Be carefull to upgrade to RAM 1600MHZ DDR3 from a reliable RAM manufacturer better if it has been approved by Apple.

MBP Retina 15" freezing when plugging thunderbolt display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.