Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set Finder to automatically open/browse USB storage drives

When I owned a 2010 Macbook Pro, a feature that I had become used to in OS X Snow Leopard was having Finder automatically open and browse to any USB hard drives and flash drives I plugged into my computer.

That Macbook Pro has since overheated and fried itself, so I've had to buy a new Macbook Pro recently, and noticed that I cannot get Finder in Mountain Lion to behave in the same way.

I was able to get my USB storage devices and CDs/DVDs to show on my desktop under Finder preferences, but I cannot get Finder to pop up a new window browsing to these devices when insert them.

Basically, I want my external storage devices to automatically open after mounting, but I could neither find this feature in Finder preferences nor Disk Utility.

Does anyone know how I can restore this past/lost functionality on my new Mac?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Windows 8 Professional

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:34 AM

There are no replies.

How to set Finder to automatically open/browse USB storage drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.