Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 59 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2014 6:56 PM by mike94060
Rey Bango Level 1 Level 1

PREFACE: I've read most of the posts on here that discuss this issue but none have provided a real answer to this.

I'm on Moutain Lion w/ all the latest updates from the App Store.

I've installed Oracle's latest Java JDK (7u11) because of the recent security issue. When I go to Terminal and type in "java -version", it's the latest version of Oracle's 1.7. I don't have Apple's 1.6 version of Java on my system. I've verified that by checking in the appropriate System folder for the 1.6 JRE & JDK.

So all seems to be fine so far and per Apple's recommendation, I'm using Oracle's latest version of Java.

So when I go to run Charles debugging proxy, which is a Java desktop app, I get the following message in a dialog:

"To open "Charles,” you need a Java SE 6 runtime. Would you like to install one now?"

If I have the latest Oracle Java version installed, why am I being prompted to install Apple's 1.6 version?

I've had this prompt in the past and went through the install before. Contrary to what another poster in another thread says, choosing install at the prompt ignores the fact that 1.7 is installed and does in fact install Apple Java 1.6. It's an outdated version of Java which I don't want on my system.

Why do I need to install Apple's 1.6 when Oracle's Java 1.7 latest is already there?

Rey

Reply by lkrupp on Jan 18, 2013 10:33 AM Helpful
For what it's worth I recall reading an explanation somewhere about how to resolve this situation. It has to do with how the installed Java identifies itself. The poster explained that if you add the Apple version name in the Java 7 preference pane an applet will no longer insist on using Java 6 and the request to install Java 6 will stop. System Preferences -> Java -> Java -> View -> User -> Runtime parameters. Now the bad news is that I have been unable to retrace my steps to that post but I believe it was here in the Apple discussion forums. Sorry but maybe someone else will pick up on this.
Reply by MadMacs0 on Jan 25, 2013 7:06 PM Helpful
Rey Bango wrote: If I have the latest Oracle Java version installed, why am I being prompted to install Apple's 1.6 version?It's obvious to me that the developer of "Charles" compiled it as a Java 6 app and limited it's use with future Java versions. I might be only because it hasn't been tested with java 7 yet, or it may have to be recompiled using the Java 7 JDK, but only the developer can tell you that. I appreciate that you might not like to have an older version of Java on your computer. Even Oracle recommends against it, but does not provide a means of removing it once it's there. But this is the same problem that users of older Mac apps (e.g. Eudora) have, in that it won't run on newer versions of OS X, so they either find a new app or don't upgrade the OS.

All replies

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

The last time I checked, the Oracle JDK didn't work with standalone Java apps. You would have to reinstall the Apple Java runtime.

• lkrupp Level 5 Level 5

Rey Bango wrote:

If I have the latest Oracle Java version installed, why am I being prompted to install Apple's 1.6 version?

Rey

You would need to ask the "Charles" developer that question. There seem to be quite a few issues regarding Java 1.6 and 1.7 with the Oracle version causing the most trouble. This, of course, is not an Apple problem to solve. The Java community and Oracle need to sort out their troubles.

You can, of course, have both versions on your system but you need to do some terminal work to switch between them. Apple has a tech support document that explains how to do that.

• Rey Bango Level 1 Level 1

How can you say this is not an Apple problem to solve when they explicitly recommend installing Oracle's version of Java but then prompt users to install their own? That makes no sense.

Thanks Linc. I don't have a problem re-installing it but I'm trying to get to the bottom of what seems to be a fairly common issue. The fact that Apple no longer includes Java, recommends installing Oracle's version and then prompts to reinstall their own is incredibly confusing and neither company explains why.

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

The issue is that Oracle has so far failed to provide a Java web plugin for any platform that withstands attack for more than a couple of weeks.

I agree with that Linc but it doesn't answer the question as to why I'm being prompted to install Apple's version of Java when Oracle's version is already installed.

Rey...

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Because Oracle's version of Java doesn't work. It doesn't support standalone apps. I don't have anything else to add.

I appreciate you trying and you may be absolutely correct but I'd like to continue to explore this since Apple does recommend Oracle's Java instead of theirs.

Thank you for your help.

Nobody?

Bumping this up.

• Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8

Rey Bango wrote:

I appreciate you trying and you may be absolutely correct but I'd like to continue to explore this since Apple does recommend Oracle's Java instead of theirs.

Thank you for your help.

Where do they do that? They are dropping support for Java and leaving that up to Oracle; however, I couldn't find anything that even hinted that Apple suggested using Oracle's Java 7. I assume there is something that details the drop in support and that Mac users will have to look to Oracle, but I couldn't find that, either.

I'd have to look for it but apart from numerous thread here stating the same, I believe I saw it on a couple of Apple support KB articles.

Are you having a similar issue or just curious?

• lkrupp Level 5 Level 5

For what it's worth I recall reading an explanation somewhere about how to resolve this situation. It has to do with how the installed Java identifies itself. The poster explained that if you add the Apple version name in the Java 7 preference pane an applet will no longer insist on using Java 6 and the request to install Java 6 will stop.

System Preferences -> Java -> Java -> View -> User -> Runtime parameters.

Now the bad news is that I have been unable to retrace my steps to that post but I believe it was here in the Apple discussion forums. Sorry but maybe someone else will pick up on this.

@lkrupp,

Many thanks. If you do find it, I would be grateful if you could reply here again but I'm equally appreciative for your feedback. It gives me a new point to look at.

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next