Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to use the SSD from my new 12 core in my old 4 core but the 4 core doesn't see the SSD. Flashing file with "?". What do I need to do?

I spend a lot of time in a location far from home. I bought a new MacPro 12 core to use at home and took the old 4 core to the alternate location. I figured I could just take my hard drives back and forth instead of schlepping a whole MacPro. The 12 core has a SSD drive to boot from and a 2 TB storage drive for photo files. It came with Mountain Lion (10.8.2). At the new location the 4 core does not find the SSD and won't boot. Grey screen. If I take the SSD out I can boot with the 2TB drive but it boots in OSX 10.6.8. I can get by with that workaround, but I'd like to use the SSD if I can because PhotoShop runs a lot faster from it.

The SSD does not show up in Finder or Disk Utility when the computer is booted up with the 2TB drive.

What do I need to do?

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 12:23 PM

If the old Mac Pro is a 1,1 or 2,1 model it cannot boot Mountain Lion. Or the problem may well be that the SSD is a SATA III - 6.0 Gb/s - drive and the old Mac Pro cannot see it because it only supports SATA I or SATA II drives.

6 replies

Jan 14, 2013 1:03 PM in response to Kappy

...or that the installed image on the SSD came from a model-specific version of Mac OS X that shipped with that Mac, and does not have the drivers to support a different model Macintosh, not even an older Mac Pro.

You can install a new Mac OS X image, such as "Full Retail" 10.6.3 off a DVD in under an hour, and have it up to date and ready for production in only a little more time.

Or you could clone 10.6.8 onto the SSD (from the other Hard Drive that does boot) in about a quarter hour.

Jan 14, 2013 6:10 PM in response to OneEighteen

If the SSD is not shown in

About this Mac > ( More info ) > Serial-ATA

It is either not cabled correctly or has died.

If it is not shown on the desktop, it may need to be examined with Disk Utility and ( Repair Disk ). If it can be repaired, or shows up as undamaged, the theories above about inappropriate versions have more weight.

I want to use the SSD from my new 12 core in my old 4 core but the 4 core doesn't see the SSD. Flashing file with "?". What do I need to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.