Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari automatically opens unwanted website in extra tab

Hello,

whenever I start Safari there's an unwanted tab opening next to my home tab (home tab = apple homepage), in this extra tab showing the URL www.yippy.com -> a search engine.

I already did:
x) reset Safari

x) delete internet history

x) delete browser cache

x) delete cookies manually

x) system scan with Kaspersky

But then I quit Safari, restart it, and there it is again: the search engine in its tab opening and setting a cookie.

I have no idea what to do now... but I definitely don't want to be forced to use this website or close it whenever I start Safari.

Please heeeeeelp!

Thank you

Sophie

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Safari Version 6.0.2 (8536.26.17)

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 12:17 PM

11 replies

Jan 14, 2013 1:18 PM in response to sopherl

Look in Safari Help/Installed Plug-ins. Is it a plug-in?

Safari Preferences/General/Default Seach Engine. Is it Google (or Bing or something else), not Yippy?

Next place I'd look is in System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items. I'd also look to see if it is in System Preferences/Other

I'm trying to hit the easy ones. I'm not sure I'll be much help after this unless I find something on-line.

Jan 15, 2013 12:19 AM in response to sopherl

Hey,

no there was no plug-in and the standard search engine is Google (Yippy is not even mentioned in the list of search engines -> Google, Bing and Yahoo, that's all. Standard SE is Google).

What I tried yesterday is to de-install ALL active extensions, no matter when they were added to Safari -> the last extension was added 2 months ago and the problem started to occur a few days ago. Then I did a Safari reset again and the tab didn't open - so it seems like it had to do with any of the existing extensions...

Strange thing, but I really hope this search engine won't come back.

Keep your fingers crossed! And thank you all for your quick support!! 🙂

Aug 14, 2013 8:36 PM in response to sopherl

I installed the extension "Best YouTube Downloader." I love the extension, but that is the culprit on my machine. It left Yippy.com as a tab that always startsup for me after I clean my system with Onyx. The extension homepage is here if you feel like poking around. http://bestyoutubedownloader.com

If I uninstall the extension, I am sure Yippy will disappear although I have not tried. I love the features of the extension. I hope this helped.

Safari automatically opens unwanted website in extra tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.